5.0 out of 5 stars Don't be put off by poor-range reviews...., 12 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Backlit Wireless Keyboard Remote, Rii K01V3 2.4GHz Multimedia Handheld Mini Keyboard With Touchpad Mouse Combos And Laser Pointer KODI XBMC Rechargable Keyboard for PC Laptop Raspberry PI MacOS Linux HTPC IPTV Google Smart TV Android Box XBMC Windows UK Layout(Black) (Electronics)
I don't normally write reviews of my purchases, preferring to leave them until I feel I can be really useful in a specific way, and I think I can do that with this product, especially for anyone who has, or is thinking of purchasing this for use with a Raspberry Pi, or anyone else who is concerned about potential issues with RF range, and the problems some people seem to be having with this remote control.

There are a 'lot' of poor reviews of this remote purely down to issues with poor RF range. I can confirm that 'out-of-the-box', and used as instructed, there are often issues with the little receiving unit not being capable of picking up a good quality signal. I have experienced this myself, and thought I'd bought something that was almost unusable in my intended way, to control my Pi from a decent distance across the room.

I can tell anyone that has had this issue, or is worried about this issue enough to warrant not buying the product, that using the small USB receiving unit on the end of a short USB extension cable will solve all issues that anyone is having with limited RF range. I bought a cheap-as-chips A-male to A-female USB extension cable, for literally 'pennies', and it's solved all my range issues at a stroke. There seems to be some issues with poorly screened PCB boards, of which the Pi seems to be guilty of, and the simple method of moving the USB RF receiver away from the circuit board solves any range issues at once. I can only presume that anyone having similar issues in other flavours of media-centres or other PC's are having similar issues that can be solved with the same method.

In terms of raw numbers, before the USB receiver was moved from the Pi my range was limited to about 1m, and it was fairly erratic even at just the 1m range. After putting the USB receiver on the end of my short USB extension cable, I can still have excellent RF control at the 5m range, which is at the limits of my room. It may work well beyond that, and there's no reason to think that it shouldn't, but the change in range and accuracy of the mouse-pad movement was dramatically better as soon as I began using the extension cable.

I wanted to put this solution here to help anyone already having this issue, but also to help stop people being put off from buying this absolutely superb product if this one issue was the reason for that. It's a brilliant remote, especially for the Pi, and for the sake of spending another quid on a short extension then it should continue to be seen as the great product that it is.

I hope this review is useful, and that it can help people out.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 19 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 19 Jan 2013 13:57:22 GMT
C. P. French says:
I wanted this keyboard to use with a Raspberry Pi, therefore this review was very helpful.

Posted on 19 Jan 2013 17:43:47 GMT
Matt Share says:
A good review by someone who has bothered to engage their brain before writing. Genuinely useful.

Posted on 29 Jan 2013 00:13:20 GMT
This is more of a question really. Does anyone think or know for sure that this keyboard would work with my Samsung UE40ES6300 Smart TV.
Am looking for a key board that would enhance my use and surfing capabilities of said TV.

ST

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Jan 2013 05:44:41 GMT
M. Calvert says:
Hi deoriginalspiceman,

I think there's a very good chance that this wireless remote will work fine with the Samsung TV, so long as you've made sure to upgrade your TV to the latest firmware and obviously also make sure to plug the little USB blue-tooth receiver into the back of the TV itself. The one thing to remember is that ordering online gives you lots of protection against items that may not work for you, so there is nothing to stop you trying it out and returning it if it doesn't work, you will only have to pay return-postage to send back the item, so long as it's in mint condition.

Now, having said that, it's also worth telling you that there is a Samsung Remote app available for both Apple and Android phones and tablets that will also allow you to use those bits of kit as a remote keyboard for your Samsung TV, so it might be worth investigating that avenue as well as this one, if you think it might be useful to you. If you search for "Samsung Remote App", then you'll get there, I'm sure.

Anyhow, I hope these two points help you a little.

All the best,

M.Calvert

Posted on 23 Mar 2013 12:33:50 GMT
How are you finding your pi?
Are you happy with this as a media device?

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Mar 2013 18:19:15 GMT
M. Calvert says:
I quite like it, although it's not as well used as my other hardware-media player, but it's in another room so that's to be expected. I hope to be able to do many other things with the PI as well, like home-automation as some point, so it's not just about playing media for me, although it does it extremely well using Raspbian, so I'm happy with it for that purpose alone, along with the added YouTube and Iplayer benefits. It's a really neat bit of kit.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Mar 2013 21:44:59 GMT
What accessories are you using with the device?

Edimax EW-7811Un N150 Wireless USB Adapter Nano
Rii K01+ 4 in 1 2.4GHz RF Portable Mini Wireless Entertainment Keyboard with Touchpad Mouse Laser Pointer LED Backlit KODI XBMC Rechargable Keyboard Portable Handheld for PC Raspberry PI MacOS Linux HTPC IPTV Smart TV Android Box Windows (Black)

Posted on 13 Apr 2013 21:42:39 BDT
Thanks for posting!

I was umming and ahhing about buying this. I have been swayed by your advice and have taken the plunge ...

:-)

Posted on 22 Apr 2013 09:11:58 BDT
wynrol says:
great post - went ahead and bought unit after reading your comments

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Sep 2013 06:24:44 BDT
s samo says:
thank you for review.
I have the same keyboard attached to my RPI. Works almost well except that it cannot connect back to RPI when not used for a minute. Does your connect well from standby?
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›