4.0 out of 5 stars "what, no bluetooth?", 27 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Sony STRDN1030.CEK AV Receiver (Old model) (Electronics)
Well, I bought this at the same price as Amazon from a well known UK retailer for reduced price audio supplier after they didn't have the Denon 2113 that I fancied in stock. I have a previous model STRDN1000 but that doesn't support 3D HDMI so after looking at reviews on the Sony and the Denon, decided on the Denon but no stock, I bought the Sony (boxing day boys toy must have something purchase).

Looks good IMHO. Some reviews suggested input switching HDMI does have some lag and I'd agree. I'm just setting up my Logitech Harmony remote and switching between Activities does reveal some timely lag to end up where you want to be. That can be 10+ seconds - sounds aweful but might just be related to passing everything through HDMI, but how often will you be changing your activity. Could be an issue, but could be aggregate lag when I kick off an activity. Anyway, I think isn't that bad to put up with and doing the same thing on other receivers could have similar issues... turn on TV, set input on TV, turn on receiver, set input, turn on DVD.... OK, so power on order might help a bit.

Sound is great -- watched John carter in 3D last night --- surround impressive.
Audio playing multi-channel stereo is OK but might be better using 2nd speaker output with wall speakers as tower speakers by TV, again in my opinion, doesn't play music like I'd like to hear, and then that gives me an issue as I bi-wired my fronts so that takes the 2 possible front speaker pairs up so I can't use the wall mounts anyway. I could go back to non-bi config, but again, not that fussed -- mainly using for movie watching really.

That said, I would have liked the Bluetooth functionality -- about all the reviews I did check online before purchase made reference to the Bluetooth -- then not something you think will be missing but no mention on Amazon listing, no mention in the documentation and no mention on the packaging i.e. in the UK, we just don't get Bluetooth. Can't seem to find any explanation as to why! The idea on picking a song on my phone and sending it to the receiver to be powered on automatically, way too cool.... but not to be.

I did the software update last night and it says in the documentation it can take up to 40 minutes --- I didn't time it but I think it took a little longer.... was hoping some magical update to the UI and Bluetooth to appear but no chance.

So a summary;
Likes; looks, sound modes for surround, auto-setup for speaker placement, 3D support on HDMI, network support.

Dislikes; UI is really naff. OK, it has a UI... but it is naff. I suspect won't often be using it though, apart from wireless music streaming or the internet radio function, but will check out the android app to see if/how that replaces the need to go into the receiver UI.

Anyone with info' as to why we didn't get Bluetooth, appreciate comments.

I wish I'd held out for more stock on the Denon..... but for my primary purpose watching Movies, this baby does sound very good.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]