1.0 out of 5 stars worst laptop I have ever owned, 23 Dec 2010
This review is from: Sony VAIO X13 11.1 inch Laptop (Intel Atom Z540 1.86GHz, 2GB, 128Gb SSD, WLAN, WWAN, BT, Webcam, Win 7 Professional) (Electronics)
I am a heavy laptop user for work, and have owned 2 IBMs and this is my second Vaio, I also have a Toshiba netbook for home. I had owned this Sony for 6 months, I purchased it attracted by the light weight and slim design - don't let it fool you though, it is quite simply the worst, most poorly built, most unusable laptop I have ever owned.

Where do I start?

1. Keyboard... I don't mind small keyboards, I can usually adjust quite quickly. But take a look at the keyboard photograph on the amazon page closely and look at the large long symbol shift key on the lower right. Don't find it? That's because it's NOT THERE! Instead Sony have shrunk the shift key to a minute button... next to the cursor UP ARROW. I promise you, this will drive you crazy especially if you work on two or three machines as I do, and especially if you use linux as I do. Every time you need a capital letter, you hit the up arrow by mistake (it's exactly where the shift normally is) and suddenly you're editing your previous linux command, or the line above in your Word doc. (Basically, I have the feeling that Sony never actually try to use their own products, the last sony I had placed both the USB ports right at the front left corner of the keyboard where you rest your hands, meaning that you could have a mouse or anything plugged in and comfortably type at the same time.)

2. Flimsy... beyond belief. Want to know how long one of the screen hinges lasted before cracking and breaking? 4 weeks... I thought my previous Vaio was bad as the screen only lasted 2.5 years, and the keyboard was starting to go at that point, but at least it made it out of the guarantee period. Not that it matters, since Sony in this case anyway told me that any faults with the laptop structure are not covered. So I have a laptop with the screen hanging by one hinge...

3. Slow... Forget about watching any video full screen. I can even watch films on my 280 euro Toshiba netbook, but the Sony has to have a mini window in the corner unless you want 3 frames per second... you would expect better from a 1300 machine...

4. Battery poor... My toshiba network makes 9 hours on a charge, the shop told me the sony netbook lasts 7 hours, I find I'm lucky to get 3.5...

In summary, not a machine I would buy again or even keep.

By the way, I think there should be a box in Amazon reviews where reviewers have to state how long they have owned and used the object they are reviewing. I get the feeling that a lot of reviewers (like the 5 star one above mine) enter their review immediately after getting the object out of the box. The keyboard issue alone would be noticed in 5 minutes by anyone actually using this laptop (unless they use it for games, which I doubt, as the graphics card can only handle minesweeper).

[Add comment]