5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best albums of 2010, 21 Sept. 2010
This review is from: Pins & Needles (Audio CD)
After their last studio album 'Walking with Strangers' was released 3 years ago, the band set out on numerous tours (both as supporting acts and headlining) including some dates in the UK. With the release of the EP 'Looking Glass' with an accommodating music video and a live album; it's become clear that The Birthday Massacre are here to stay with their unique sound (Synth rock with New Wave and retro elements) and look (Alice in Wonderland meets Horror). I've loved them since their 'Violet' album and the band has gone strength to strength from then. 'Pins and Needles' is no different; sure you could argue it's 'more of the same' and the music is somewhat lighter in tone compared to their previous works (you won't find the likes of 'Blue' or 'Lover's End' here) but if you've been a fan up till now, there's no reason you won't like their latest offering.

It's quite clear from the offset that the band have a higher budget and know exactly how to deliver their sound as the entire production of the album is much tighter, Chibi has more control over her vocals and the album flows naturally from one track to the next. On the lyrical side they've got it down to a T, fantastic examples include "She wears a dress like a body bag" from 'Shallow Grave' and "I can't decide which one of us will leave here alive" from 'Midnight'.

The albums' strengths are in the harder hitting tracks; opening track and lead single 'In the Dark' hits you smack in the face with the guitars, Chibi's sweet singing and haunting lyrics that will stick with you long after you've stopped listening to it. 'Control' sees the return of Chibi's growling during the verses but with the added electric effect to her voice and great guitar licks, this track will be one getting the crowd going at gigs. 'Sleepwalker', my favourite track of the album, contains on the best guitar riffs they've ever done, I heard a poor quality live performance before the album release, I loved it then and I love it more now.

The rockier tracks are great but that's not to say that the slower tracks aren't up to much; I'm quite partial to 'Always' with its tear jerking melody and relatable words and 'Pins and Needles' starts off as a heavy hitter but gives away to the catchy mid-tempo verses.

The important thing to mention is that Birthday Massacre albums have always been growers; I hated 'Science' from 'Walking with Strangers' at first but now I can't skip it when I play that album. At the moment 'Secret' and 'Two Hearts' have failed to grab me (the latter's chorus being too similar to previous mid-tempo songs they've done before) but a few months from now I'll probably be singing them praises.

At 11 tracks the album does go rather quickly but every minute spent is very much worth your time. Birthday Massacre fans - grab this album, it's just as good as their previous efforts. Newbies - go buy Violet, love it, then come back and put this in your basket.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 22 Sep 2010 11:14:01 BDT
Hey,
Great review, i havent had the chance to buy this album yet, but im going to see TBM in 2 weeks in northamptonshire. But thanks for your review i'll be adding this to my basket!

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Sep 2010 09:44:30 BDT
Sarah R says:
You're welcome and thanks for the feedback. I'm seeing them live in London at the end of October. I saw them live last year and thought they were fantastic, enjoy the gig!

Posted on 23 Sep 2010 13:52:28 BDT
Guru Gal says:
I agree with you 100% with this. I'd never heard of them until being recommended Walking with Strangers through Itunes. Loved that and then got the first 2 and love everything they've done including this. Know what you mean about growing on you, I had it with Shallow Grave and Two Hearts on first play but have since played the album 6 times and now they're all buzzing round in my head!! I'm also seeing them for the first time in Brighton in just under 2 weeks and can't wait! It's just so unfair that they're not absolutely massive and there's nobody anywhere near who does this mix of metal and pop better in my opinion.
Thanks again for a terrific review!

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Sep 2010 14:19:09 BDT
Sarah R says:
Thanks Ken for the kind feedback! I'm glad you liked the review.
Enjoy your first gig with them, they were awesome last year and I can't wait to see them again in October.

Posted on 30 Sep 2010 22:15:19 BDT
Hey,
Just a follow up i did buy this album and its fantastic, i can totally relate to what you said. The more i listen to this album the more in grows on me. I find myself wandering around my place of work humming this album. The songs really get stuck in your head. 'Sleepwalker' is such a wicked song, i am totally with you on that. I was thinking of writing my own review, but there is no-point you have covered everything! I hope you enjoy the gig in London (& the other commentor seeing them in brighton) im so excited about seeing them in Northamptonshire as i think Chibi is so hot! P.S people who are seeing them at different venues around the country i hope we all enjoy their shows!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›