5.0 out of 5 stars Progression or Digression, 16 May 2006
This review is from: Lukas Moodysson Presents (4 Disc Box Set) [DVD] (DVD)
Disc 1 = "Show Me Love"

(86 mins)

+ Bonus short film "Talk"

A love story of the highest class. A rather awkward friendship between two girls matures to one of the most uplifting climaxes on film (excuse the use of language ... bears no connection to this film!).

I think the beauty in this piece has a great deal to do with the innocence held throughout.

I recommend this film to anyone with a sensitive bone in their body.

A wonderful film and an incredible debut.

Rating: ****1/2

Disc 2 = "Together"

(102 mins)

A very popular film.

A comedy in some sense of the word.

Based on a commune of hippies that live free and share everything such as political views, life ideals and boyfriend or girlfriend!!

The sister of one of the "hippies" (for want of a better word!) has an argument with her husband and moves into this hippy house and social ideas come with her.

This is indeed a special film, very humorous in places, wonderfully acted (as in all of Mr. Moodysson's films) and has an array of questions and ideas to be picked apart.

In my humble opinion this is the worst of Lukas Moodysson's films as, for me, I failed to be grasped by the issues raised.

But I most certainly will not dispute that it is indeed a great film and probably the only true "family viewing" film in this box set.

Rating: ****

Disc 3 = "Lilya 4 Ever"

(105 mins)

I really don't want to say too much about this film as I myself watched it without any idea what it was about and was totally blown away.

The filming is wonderful and typically intimate for Mr. Moodysson. The acting is absolutely superb, considering the subject matter I do believe this film should have been thrust in front of my face by the world. But either way I'm very happy I found it.

It's a long way away from his first two films which leave you with some great feelings of understanding, joy and general "heartshine". This film with move you, disturb you and possibly leave you feeling like you have to try and change the world (it did for me!).

This, in my opinion, is one of the greatest films ever made and I highly recommend it for all hardcore film boffs like me! It is not, repeat NOT a family film!!

... which brings me nicely on to the final film ...

Rating: *****

Disc 4 = "A Hole in My Heart"

(93 mins)

I have recently written a full review on the "A Hole in My Heart" (DVD) link. So for a review please go there.

I gave it a 5-star in the page, mainly to bring up the overall rating for the film. When looking at it in comparison to the other films the rating drops slightly, but my opinion does not so please do go there and read that for a fair and critical review ... it'll be the one in-between all the ones that describe it using 4 letter words!!

Rating: ****