3.0 out of 5 stars I Want To See These Films!, 6 Jun 2011
This review is from: Criterion Collection: Rossellini's History Films [DVD] [1974] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC] (DVD)
I live in the UK. Finding copies of Rossellini's works which can be viewed in Region 2 is impossible. Anyone reading this review who can help: please release Criterion's titles for the European market! Thank you.

I recall seeing The Rise to Power of King Louis years ago. It was fantastic. I'd love to see it again. There's some great French made-for-television historical series from the 1960s / 1970s I'd like to see (e.g. Richelieu). Can't get access for love nor money. Do I have to emigrate to France just to watch vintage telly?!

Someone somewhere realise there is a market and profit to be made and release these things in the UK (and with English subtitles -- my French and Italian is good enough to order coffee but not to follow the intrigues of C17th politics).

Cheers!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 11 Jun 2011 15:44:58 BDT
Last edited by the author on 11 Jun 2011 15:48:52 BDT
I finally got fed up with this regional nonsense and bought a multi-region BlueRay player from Richer Sounds for a very reasonable ex-demo £70 which now enables me to buy anything from anywhere (especially eBay) in search of the cheapest, and though I'm not able to pay, say, Criterion prices, I don't have to worry what I'm buying won't play because it's wrong region.

Incidentally, it didn't have to be BlueRay, it just happened to be one. Personally I'd never pay the outrageous prices for those discs, I've got a few that were very cheap and honestly, after comparison, DVD suits me just fine.

I'm trying to track down an affordable Louis 14 but they all seem to be £20 with postage. Never mind, one'll turn up soon enough.

I have nothing to do with Richer Sounds by the way; but I've saved a lot with them over the years.

p.s. I just had a look and multi-region DVD players start at £60!

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Sep 2012 19:41:28 BDT
Tarr Pitts says:
Cheers, Badger. I agree the different regions nonsense is just 'rigging the market' by another name. If I can find an all-region work-around then I will be following your advice and buying abroad. £20 is not too much to relive classic telly!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.0 out of 5 stars (2 customer reviews)

£36.12 £31.01