5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent service & high quality product, 9 Jan 2010
This review is from: Fresh yeast (500g) (Misc.)
I'm a keen bread-maker, particularly of enriched breads. I've compared brioche made with fresh yeast versus dried yeast and, in a blind tasting, my husband could tell the difference and preferred the one with fresh yeast. Getting fresh yeast is difficult: asking the local baker feels a bit a bit of cheek and even specialist delicatessens rarely stock fresh yeast. I had tried looking on the Internet but commercial suppliers only had very large pack-sizes designed for bakeries. I was thus delighted to find this supplier who would send 500g packs at a very reasonable price. The yeast comes well-packed and chilled in plastic box that can be used to store the yeast in the fridge . Note the advice to leave the lid slightly open to allow air into the block of yeast. The yeast was in perfect condition: moist yet very crumbly and had a date-stamp about 2 weeks beyond the delivery day. I've made four loaves already with the yeast and it performed excellently and produced tasty white, milk, brioche and kugelhof loaves.

I shan't be keeping the yeast in the fridge up to it's use-by-date and instead will be dividing the block into 20/30g cubes, wrapped in clingfilm and frozen rapidly. Later I'll pack the frozen cubes into a freezer box. I've often frozen fresh yeast in this way and found it still works after 6 months of freezing. I defrost the yeast in the fridge. It often becomes runny but this doesn't seem to affect it working. I find the rising times may be longer after the yeast has been frozen but, if anything, this improves the final loaf. I generally use less yeast than suggested in any recipe and thus have longer rising/proving times for the dough. I'm firmly convinced that longer rising times lead to better flavoured bread.

Update October 2010: I'm still using portions of the yeast that I froze in January 2010 and they're still working as good as new, for example, 18g (defrosted in the fridge overnight) was able to raise 3kg of brioche dough, a heavy dough full of eggs and butter: once in the kitchen, again overnight in the fridge and then finally when put in tins and rising for the third time using the bread proving setting in my Neff oven.

Update December 2010: I've just used the last 25g of the block of yeast delivered (and frozen by me in portions) in January 2010 and have placed a further order. This last portion of yeast performed
perfectly after defrosting and made 2 large loaves and six foccacia rolls. Just to make sure it was OK
I made a "sponge" starters for each kind of bread: yeast creamed with blood heat water or water and milk; a pinch of sugar and a tablespoon or so of flour sprinkled over the surface and put in a warm place for about 20 mins (the Neff oven proving setting is ideal). If it froths the yeast is live and ready to work.

January 2011: I've just received my batch of 500g fresh yeast to last me through 2011 and it arrived in perfect condition. I notice that the packaging is even better than last year: a thick, foam insulated envelope plus a gel freezer strip. As before I portioned up the block into 20/25g cubes tightly wrapped in cling-film and deep-frozen. Great value for money: enough to make up to 100 loaves if you use a slow-rise method.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 13 Feb 2010 11:29:37 GMT
C. Sterry says:
Was looking for info about whether fresh yeats could be frozen, so this was very helpful indeed, thanks! Just what I wanted to know.

Posted on 13 Feb 2010 19:28:44 GMT
Last edited by the author on 14 Feb 2010 08:06:39 GMT
Bluebell says:
I've just discovered through experiments that if you make a ferment of yeast and flour, as recommended in Richard Bertinet's book (Crust: Bread to Get Your Teeth Into), you can freeze portions and revive them at room temperature: it takes a few hours. I've done this having made the ferment with frozen yeast, frozen the resulting ferment and it still works to make a lovely loaf.

Posted on 9 Apr 2011 20:35:19 BDT
I wish everyone left reviews like this, very informative and i shall be placing an order.

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Apr 2011 21:58:06 BDT
Bluebell says:
Thank you for your kind words. Mrs Abbiss. I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

Posted on 7 May 2012 15:28:36 BDT
Motte 1 says:
Cracking review! You probably won't see this comment. Like the others your review gave me the info I needed too! I've just ordered, from the Bertinet shop, some fresh yeast and will be using your experiences to freeze mine too. The comment "I'm firmly convinced that longer rising times lead to better flavoured bread" ties in with what I'm reading from the experiences of Lepard, Whitely and David. I shall be thinking of you when I'm chopping the yeast into 25g blocks, clingfilmed, boxed and into the freezer. Many thanks for this very helpful info.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 May 2012 15:55:17 BDT
Bluebell says:
Thank you for your kind comment. Happy baking!

Posted on 11 Sep 2013 20:46:13 BDT
undine says:
I get my fresh yeast from the bakery section in Sainsbury's, 50g costs 20p. As far as I know, any place where bread is baked is legally obliged to sell yeast.

Posted on 30 Aug 2014 21:32:00 BDT
keith b says:
I am thinking of placing an order when available but what quantity of yeast do I need to make a half kilo loaf please? I have been using dried yeast previously. An excellent review though which has tempted me to try and use fresh yeast! Thanks .

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Aug 2014 22:40:05 BDT
Bluebell says:
A rough rule of thumb is that one uses twice the weight of fresh to what is recommended for dried. Most recipes would suggest between 10 and 20g of fresh yeast for 500g flour. The quantity depends on the type of bread: rich doughs need a bit more. I am a firm believer of using less yeast than recommended in a recipe and letting the dough take longer to rise as this improves the flavour. It's best to err on the side of less yeast as dough eventually does double in size.
You get quite a lot of fresh yeast when you buy online but if you keep the wrapped yeast in an airtight container and freeze it below 20 degrees C it will last for ages. I've just made loaves with yeast stored for a year/

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Aug 2014 10:31:47 BDT
keith b says:
Thanx for the excellent advice Bluebell!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.5 out of 5 stars (14 customer reviews)

Add to wishlist