1,384 of 1,427 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good, 2 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Philips HD9220/20 Healthier Oil Free Airfryer - Black (Kitchen & Home)
I bought this to replace an "Actifry" which was excellent but suddenly packed up after about 2 ½ years when the element blew. The Airfryer has a 2 year guarantee which gives a degree of confidence however if there are any reliability issues I will update this review.
This is a low fat fryer which relies on hot air for cooking, much safer than a deep fat frying, the food to be cooked is placed in a basket (which can be divided in two to separate two different types of food and even take a 7" dish although taking it out of the basket is not the easiest of tasks) the temperature and time is set and that is it except that halfway through the basket has to be removed and shaken, this is particularly important with chips which will stick together if not shaken. The cooked food was excellent, chips cooking well and fast
Both the Airfryer and the Actifry do similar things in a similar manner but there are some detailed differences.
The Airfryer has a smaller workplace footprint although taller than the Actifry, is quieter (still with a fairly noisy fan) and cooks quicker. Also the Airfryer does not have a paddle which rotates and can damage delicate foods and is easier to clean.
The Actifry does however have one other advantage other than cost in that you can see the food being cooked.
UPDATE I still like it but the mechanical timer sometimes sticks or rather does not start, if you hear it ticking it is going to be OK.
UPDATE 24/03/11
It is being advertised on one of the shopping channels at the moment and they show cooking sausages although I am sure this works it advises against sausages and other high fat items in the instruction book, it does not give a reason but I assume that it is to prevent fat splashing on the heating element. Use caution if you wish to cook sausages, I have not tried them in the AirFryer.
UPDATE 25/10/11
The cord got jammed in the base and I had to take it off to pull the cord out. (Only two screws but be careful not to break off the plastic tags.
It is poor design as the cord is only fed into a void, no spool or anything, and if it kinks there is no way of pulling it out without dismantling it.
UPDATE 27/11/13
Still going well no problems.
UPDATE 29/11/13
Please note if this is not big enough for you there is now a bigger one.
Philips HD9240/90 Avance Collection Airfryer Extra-Large, 3 Litre, 2100 Watt, Black
UPDATE 02/05/15 Still going well no problems, but the cord is still annoying me.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 6 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 23 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 23 Mar 2011 23:11:01 GMT
Mac says:
You were luckier than I was, my element blew after one year and ten months..

Posted on 6 May 2011 11:59:33 BDT
Zed says:
My actifry has broken....i wouldn't hesitate to get another but which would you genuinely advise is better ( family of 4)
Can't get my head round having to shake the food, as the acifry does it all for you.
Love my actifry to bits but will be taking out another extended warranty!

In reply to an earlier post on 6 May 2011 12:25:49 BDT
Bob says:
It depends what you want to do with it. Both give very similar results. The Air fryer is slightly quicker and uses slightly less oil (almost no difference) I was happy with the Actifry but it was noisy and broke so I thought I would try something else. The only real advantages I have found with the Air Fryer (no idea about long term reliability) It is quieter and you can divide the dish into 2 also you can cook flans / pies etc as there is no padle to get in the way. It is easier to clean and does not stain. The shaking chips 1/2 way through is ever so easy so no problem.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 May 2011 12:38:11 BDT
Zed says:
Thank you for your opinion. I mainly do potatoes in all shapes, flavours and sizes. Very occasionally i do sausages ( butcher best so not fatty) and home made nuggets.
The noise isn't an issue to me with two kids i hardly notice it :-) but it did only last 16 months....thankfully i had extended warranty so i'm able to replace it no worries.
You're the only person i've come accross that has used both and would have good knowledge of them.
Can you tell me though if you're able to cook the same amount of frozen chips in the air fryer???? That's one thing that's great when other kids are round....so quick and easy!
thanks again
Zorica

In reply to an earlier post on 6 May 2011 22:07:28 BDT
Last edited by the author on 7 May 2011 10:39:26 BDT
Bob says:
Strangely I have never cooked frozen chips with either, we just cut up ordinary potatoes add a bit of oil and away it goes. As there are only two of us we never bothered about the capacity but there was spare room in either after chipping 5 fairly large potatoes. I think the AirFryer is slightly smaller but not much they are different shapes I have no longer got an Actifry but I have just measured the internal dimensions of the basket on the Airfryer it is 19cm squarish (it has rounded courners) and 8cm deep.
EDIT I have just looked at the instruction books and the Actifry does 750grms of frozen chips and the Air Fryer 700grms.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Oct 2013 21:20:18 BDT
Lynne says:
Thank you for the information given to Miss Z.N.E, it has been very useful for me and it has helped with my decision.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Oct 2013 07:51:38 BDT
Last edited by the author on 3 Oct 2013 07:53:34 BDT
Zed says:
Well I bought the air fryer and have used it almost daily for various things from heating rolls to cooking jacket spuds. It has never failed me and so easy that my kids can use it safely too (14year old) It is still going strong and wouldn't hesitate in replacing it with another when it eventually gives in, although nearly two years on it still feels as though it has many more yers use left in it :-)
Brilliant for pastry products as makes them nice and crisp, great for fluffy roast spuds, lovely for crispy skins on jacket spuds. The most delicious chicken in BBQ (etc) marinade ever, pies and quiche is fab, part baked rolls done in half the time, warming normal rolls or croissants a treat...if it fits put it in, I've not found anything it can't do yet.

Posted on 24 Nov 2013 17:30:38 GMT
Good review. About the high fat content warning...is it designed to easily remove rendered fat during the cooking process?

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Nov 2013 23:09:10 GMT
Bob says:
I don't think it is that clever all it really does is not add more fat, or at least very little.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Nov 2013 16:58:24 GMT
Hello Bob, I meant does the rendered fat accumulate is a receptacle that you can slide out and empty? I read this on a review "The only thing to note is that any fatty food will drip into the bottom and will burn, just like a normal Oven" so was thinking the ability to remove the fat, while still cooking, would be useful?
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›

Review Details

Item

Reviewer

Bob
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)

Location: Please note I am in the UK