5.0 out of 5 stars Back in the fold..., 31 July 2012
This review is from: Clockwork Angels (Audio CD)
During the years 1978 to 1983 Rush were my musical world. Liked other bands, loved Rush. Collected everything from Albums and Singles, posters, badges, patches...the whole early teens malarkey. I bought Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures, Signals and Grace.. on release day and all 4 are still firm favourites. And then Power Windows shot them down. Bought it and could not - no matter what - get into it. Sold it to a mate at college. After that, I never really went back. Bought the live DVD's, bought Lighted Stage, saw them live...but no album purchases. On the recommendation of my brother in law I picked this one up last week...and not stopped playing it since. Not going to review it, will just say ignore the doubters...this is a 10/10

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 1 Aug 2012 18:18:43 BDT
Last edited by the author on 1 Aug 2012 18:22:28 BDT
G. Young says:
Have you tried giving Power Windows another try? I rate that as one of their best; Marathon and Middletown Dreams are two of the finest tracks they ever recorded, fantastic production too. Counterparts is also worth your time, a good, solid rock album, definately worth a listen. I love them all but those two albums I find exceptional.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Aug 2012 10:51:19 BDT
r. f. says:
I agree with your comment about , Power Windows. I hated it at first and for years I didn't listen to it.
When the Rush Sector box sets came out I gave it another chance. It sounded much better remastered and I listened to it more. Boy , am I ever glad that I did. Great album.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Aug 2012 07:46:16 BDT
K. Miles says:
Me too, love Power Windows, it's one of my top 5 Rush albums.
Never got into Grace.. as much as the other 80's albums though.

Posted on 3 Aug 2012 18:37:37 BDT
Last edited by the author on 3 Aug 2012 20:19:33 BDT
G. Young says:
Nice to hear comments from you guys. Grace Under Pressure is another favourite (of many!) although, like Signals, it did take a lot of time to get into; Power Windows I liked almost immediately. Grace is a special album for me, a lot of great memories attached to that one but I find it still sounds fresh today - Kid Gloves, Afterimage and Between The Wheels, all have outstanding guitar work, all the classic stuff I rate amongst the best rock albums of all time - A Farewell To Kings, Hemispheres, Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures, Signals... How many bands have released so many classics and continued to release high quality recordings one after another? They've never let me down.

Posted on 24 Aug 2012 21:06:25 BDT
Hey Fella,

I don't normally bother with replies to reviews but you are a somewhat special case I think. I can't believe you didn't like Power Windows..It was that very album which got me BACK into Rush after about a 5 year absence. I had been listening to them avidly since 1975 and stepped off the merry-go-round after Permanent Waves. After Power Windows came Hold Your Fire which I also loved, but after that it just seemed to be disappointment after disappointment. I haven't enjoyed a full album from these guys since 1987 - some odd tracks here and there but nothing outstanding to my mind. I'm going to take a chance on this album out of sheer loyalty and the reviews I've read so far, but also because I'm an old fart who just loves all that concept album stuff like everyone used to do back in the 70s. Here's hoping.

Please try Power Windows again. It still remains very high on my own personal playlist and to my old ears still sounds very fresh indeed.

Cheers mate.

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Dec 2013 13:39:28 GMT
Hoopler says:
Having recently (finally) purchased Counterparts (love it!), I think it's time to give PW a reassessment, and dive into the PW to Clockwork Angels albums that I have missed. So, Counterparts done...Presto next?

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Dec 2013 14:55:58 GMT
K. Miles says:
Presto is one of my favourite albums. It took a while to click, but War Paint and The Pass are superb.
Not a big fan of Test for Echo personally, but PW, HYF, Presto, Counterparts and Clockwork Angels are superb.
Snakes & Arrows and Vapor Trails have their moments (Vapor Trails remix is so much better than the original!)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.5 out of 5 stars (171 customer reviews)

Reviewer