4.0 out of 5 stars Great all round Full HD 3D projector. Almost perfect except for one flaw, 1 May 2012
This review is from: Epson EH-TW5900 2000 Lumens Full HD LCD 3D Projector (Electronics)
The Epson EH-TW5900, I would assert is probably the best value sub £1,000 Full HD 3D projector available.

To provide some context I had owned several Optoma DLP projectors before this such as the HD72 and HD20. Although they were low in price, I lost confidence in Optoma products (after having 4 different HD20's) as they were very unreliable and temperamental proving to be very sensitive to HDMI cables and sometimes refusing to 'hand-shake' with an HDMI signal.

In short I wanted to upgrade to 3D and I considered the optoma HD300x and the HD33 but was unconvinced as I knew that for 3D you needed at least 2000 lumens for a decent bright image. Anyway, I took the chance to try Epson LCD technology instead.

The first thing you notice about the Epson is it's size - the LCD technology is inevtably bulkier than the equivalent DLP technology found in the Optoma's. It's much heavier too - so much so that I had to reinforce my ceiling mount. But when it is up, it really looks like it means business. The build quality is superb and it feels very solid and professional compared to the plasticky Optoma's.

2D PERFORMANCE

I tried the projector with various reference Blu-rays, James Bond Blu-rays, David Attenboroughs Blue Planet, etc. and the performance was initially very smooth. Noticably the graininess of DLP projectors was absent, whites and areas of colour were smooth and didn't have that annoying mpeg-like blocking of inferior projectors. Fast motion handling was far superior to a DLP projector too. One thign I noticed was that the full HD resolution was so good , that just like a good detailed and revealing Hi-Fi system, that it actually revealed the strenghts and weaknesses of very good Blu-rays with multi-million production budgets. When you have that level fo transparency you knwo you have a high quality piece of kit on your hands.

3D PERFORMANCE

I tried the 3D with the benchmark disc - Avatar Blu-ray 3D (the genuine panasonic version), Hugo blu-ray 3D, David Attenborough's Flying Monsters Blu-ray 3D and various other Imax Blu-ray 3D discs

First impressions were incredible. this was much better than expected. I felt like I was in a mini Imax theatre. The scale and resoluton of the image made you feel that you were immersed in another world. Unlike other 3D TV's and 3D projectors, the image was bright enough to comfortably watch. Apparently Epson do this by brightening the image and also keep the shutters open on the 3D glasses for as long as possible. everyone that has seen it is amazed at what can now be easily produced in a home cinema setting for under £1,000. interestingly, the slight darkening that the 3D glasses produce drastically improves the contrast ratio and the weak blacks.

STRENGTHS

The projector just works and is fuss free, set up is simple.
Very bright and stable full HD image
Smooth, detailed images are much less grainy that the equivalent DLP projector.
Brilliant motion handling
Natural colours
Compatible with a wide variety of sources, 2D, 3D and all types of HD sources.
3D performance is exceptional and very easy to set up.

WEAKNESSES

Weak Blacks - this is the major weakness of the projector and can be annoying as the very darkest the projector can actually achieve is a dark purply/blue. The claimed 20,000:1 contrast is nonsense. My cheaper Optoma HD20 DLP projector had much better blacks. However this is the weakness of LCD projectors and apparently you have to spend mroe like £2k+ on Epson's EH-TW9000 to achieve better blacks. In practice though you can live with this, and if you have some ambient light and white walls and furniture, then you won;t really notice this unless you have a fully blacked out 'bat cave' home cinema room, As such I would recommend a grey screen with a lower gain than a white glass beaded screen that I have.
Bulky and heavy to mount.
Occasionally noisy Iris and cooling fan.
3D performance is more impressive than 2D performance

Conclusion

A very good all round projector that is hard to beat at the price. despite it's flaw, it is a joy to use and I am glad that I ditched the cheap Optoma's. The Epson is a much more grown up professional beast that feels like it means business and it really does deliver the Home Cinema experience at a realistic price.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 24 Jul 2012 11:54:05 BDT
Last edited by the author on 25 Jul 2012 17:04:22 BDT
Savita says:
Excellent, detailed and well-thought-out review - thank you. Just one thing though, there is no mention of the size here and I was under the impression that new projectors were smaller but this one dwarfs our current Sony. Elsewhere I found that this projector is 420mm deep x365mm wide x137mm high. I looked at this because it is one of the few that has horizontal keystone correction but I don't know how it could fit on our shelf so I may have to think again. It is also one heck of a size to have hanging off the ceiling.

Posted on 29 Oct 2012 12:17:55 GMT
Im totally looking into get this projector as I suffer from the rainbow effect, the only thing thats holding me back is all the reviews about weak black levels is it really that bad or just the experts being over the top?

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Nov 2012 12:33:53 GMT
Hi Mark,

I too am seeing the "black level" debate, but I am suspicious that this may just be a gripe against all of the other great features that this projector contains. Strangely, half of the complaints don't mention the brightness of the wall, or the screen used. Both can have a major effect on the black levels displayed. Of course, a grey screen may give better blacks, but "usually" at the expense of the whites getting slightly washed out.

I personally am going to give this serious consideration, and as long as I can convince the chief accountant (aka the wife) that this is a worthy purchse, I'm going for it after Christmas. If you're still debating then, I'll let you know how I got on.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.6 out of 5 stars (11 customer reviews)

Out of stock