3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting but doesn't prove anything, 16 Jan 2013
This review is from: Proof of Heaven: A Neurosurgeon's Journey into the Afterlife (Paperback)
I've long been fascinated by the possibility of a "Life after Death", Near Death Experiences (NDE) or anything of that nature, but as a sceptic rather than a hopeful believer. I am an atheist and as an atheist I refuse to believe in anything that isn't backed up by reasonable scientific research or that relies solely on blind faith. I've long argued that if god exists and expects us to believe in him then it's his responsibility to prove it to us. Otherwise he can't be surprised that increasing numbers of people are turning to atheism. Of course being an atheist who knows of no proof whatsoever I find it much more plausible that there simply isn't a god. I am however open to the possibility of some form of "Life after Death".

Let me make it clear now that I am not against religion or religious people. As far as I'm concerned people have a basic human right to believe in what the hell they like and it's our duty as human beings to respect that. You can't claim to be a supporter of free speech or free expression if you think otherwise.

Although this book is an interesting look at Dr Alexander's experiences of NDE, made more interesting by the fact that he's a Neurosurgeon, it isn't actually proof of a heaven. In that respect the title is misleading. Although I don't doubt that Dr Alexander is an experienced Neurosurgeon and I don't doubt he had a wonderful experience which he is obviously keen to share with the world I'm afraid this doesn't count as evidence of anything.
I will admit he does make some interesting points about brain activity during comas and there is an interesting appendix at the end which attempts to counter some of the criticism and covers possible medical explanations for his experiences. Unfortunately it still doesn't actually prove anything. I'd suggest that anyone who's interested in the flaws of these claims do a Google search for criticism of Dr Alexander and "Proof of Heaven: A Neurosurgeon's Journey into the Afterlife".

My only other real complaint with this book is that at times he can get a little preachy, as if he's been inducted into a cult and wants to "save" other people. This was a little off putting for me and doesn't help his credibility as a scientist or in claiming proof of a heaven. Also the fact that he's a religious man does make one wonder about his level of bias and puts a dampener on his impartiality.

Still if you have any interest at all in NDE I would recommend looking into this book, if only to help expand your knowledge of people experiences and their claims. Just don't be taken in by the "proof" claim.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]