5.0 out of 5 stars Wouldn't live without it now, 5 Jun 2013
This review is from: Morphy Richards Flavour Savour 48784 Slow Cooker, 4.5 Litre - Stainless Steel (Kitchen & Home)
Spent ages researching slow cookers after having a few amazing meals made in them from friends.

This one ticked all the boxes as it has a removeable, dishwashable pot. It can be used on the hob for browning, as well as on the cooker base and has a clear lid with steam hole, so you can see exactly what's going on in there! And it's narrow base makes it take up less space in the kitchen than most slow cookers, as well as looking prettier, in my opinion. I didn't want a plastic-ey steamer looking type thing on the counter!
I ordered the 6.5 L to start with and although I would have loved to keep it, in our teeny weeny London kitchen, it was going to take up too much room so I got the 4.5 L instead.

I LOVE IT! It makes enough for 4, you don't really want to put more than a 1kg joint of meat in, at that stage you should chop it up a bit to make sure it gets covered in whatever sauce/stew you might be cooking it in but it is amazing.
I tend to take the pan off and put it on my gas cooker to brown everything off, then stick it back on the cooker for the slow cooking part. I know you can brown it on the cooker but I like playing with gas heat more.
Everything we have cooked has tasted incredible. The timings on it are perfect and the dial is very simple, I still haven't read the instructions.
We've made curries, soups, stews, briskets and traditional French dishes like Boeuf Bourguignon and Coq au Vin and it all tastes bloody marvellous!
We use DK The Slow Cook Book (the best) and Slow Cooking Curries by Carolyn Humphries amongst others, we've found these to be the best, though the latter doesn't have pictures.

Do give slow cooking a go, whether you use this or not. I wish I'd had one when I first moved out and couldn't cook, they're simple and make wonderful tasting food, that's cheap to make and easy to freeze.
I looked at Wh*ch?, Amazon, A*gos and others reviews before buying this make and model and I'm really glad I did. There are no hidden annoyances like fixed pots, everything is sturdy, useable and effective. I've had it for a year and still going strong.

I hope this can be useful to someone looking into slow cookers :)

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]