5.0 out of 5 stars Calling all forty-somethings - what about the 1973 'A Little Princess' next for DVD ...?, 6 July 2010
This review is from: The Secret Garden [DVD] (DVD)
As other (I suspect forty-something) reviewers have said, this is the classic, and best, adaptation of the Frances Hodgson Burnett story about the redemptive power of a garden. I remembered it lovingly from my childhood, and I wasn't disappointed seeing it thirty years later.

The BBC in 1973 did a magical serialisation of the other Burnett classic, 'A Little Princess'. Having hunted high and low to get it on DVD, can I now start a campaign on amazon to see if BBC will consider putting it out on DVD?

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 30 Jun 2013 11:49:58 BDT
Dunkel says:
I'll join your campaign! I've never forgotten it and I'd love to add it to my DVD collection,

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Aug 2013 22:19:10 BDT
Count me in too! I still remember this and was horrified by the brashness of the recent US version based in New York and completely bastardised. HAve just bought what I hope is the original Anne of Avonlea but Anne of Green Gables seems to have disappeared!

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Oct 2013 23:08:37 BDT
Last edited by the author on 24 Oct 2013 23:47:18 BDT
Good news ! The series you are looking for "The Little Princess" IS available on dvd !

I found out from a comment on another movie on the amazon forums that this series "The Little Princess" is available from amazon.de ... that is the amazon site in Germany.

I ordered it and just received it yesterday.
It is the original six part series with Amelia Shankley and Maureen Lipman. It is on 2 dvds and is 155 minutes in total. I am pleased with the quality and so glad to get this, one of my favourites, on dvd.
It has two soundtracks one in English and one in German. To play in English you must scroll down on the main menu and click on "Sprachen" then select "Englisch"
So you can go to amazon.de .... search Sara die kleine Prinzessin dvd.....you will see Amelia Shankley on the cover. The german title for this dvd is "Sara die Kleine Prinzessin". The dvds are for region 2

Hope this is helpful to fans of this wonderful series.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Oct 2013 23:48:08 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 30 Jan 2014 15:09:20 GMT]

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Oct 2013 14:47:28 BDT
Hi Johndude,

You're good to post, and thanks for that. I actually have the Maureen Lipman version on DVD, and I agree, it's a good version.

But there is an earlier BBC production from 1973 or 1974 - I've never been able to find it on DVD, but I strongly remember it from my childhood!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.8 out of 5 stars (10 customer reviews)

Reviewer