5.0 out of 5 stars 100% expressing - this is the only one, 24 July 2011
This review is from: Medela Pump In Style Advanced Double Electric Breastpump (Baby Product)
This is the best product I've used (and I've used a few) for 100% expressing. The cups fit well too - once up to full speed I don't have to sit there holding them on, the suction is enough to keep them on.
I'm into my 9th month of expressing 100% (our baby has a cleft palate and never could breast feed, I am aiming for her to have fresh breast milk for her cleft repair operation at 10 months old for the antibodies and all that, and then I'm stopping!). I know that I could not have done it without the right equipment, and this pump is amazing. I had read awful stories of people unable to produce enough milk etc, and the opposite happened to me. I got up to 1200ml a day before starting to cut back on the number of times a day (I started doing it 7 times as day for 15 mins, now I do 2 or 3 times a day for 10-15 mins). I froze all the spare milk but as it kept coming in the end I gave over 40litres to the SCBU at the John Radcliffe Oxford. (And I still have one freezer full of it!) I have used the pump whilst visiting friends and (memorably) in the queue waiting for a ferry! The battery pack works just as well as on the mains lead, couldn't tell any difference. It is truly a good product.

Things to watch out for:
- The soft cups hurt me a lot, the rubber crinkled and pinched, and they died in cold-water sterilising (got really rough on the inside). But Medela Customer Services are fab and they sent me hard cups which are great. It comes with the soft cups when they send it to you, so watch out for that. I found it best to steam sterilise, they do say it all can be boiled for 5-10 mins or something but this just isn't practical.

- The piping tubes (the soft long plastic ones that attach the machine to the cups) do get mould inside after about 3 months. Medela said to make sure the equipment was really dry before use but this is not possible when 100% expressing (the stuff is always being sterilised and used again too soon) and also some condensation comes from the warmth of the milk so it happens anyway even if the equipment is dry. Medela have sent me free tubes and also we got them from Amazon - the only thing to do is replace them the mould cannot be cleaned out.

- Medela said you only have to sterlise once a day. I couldn't get my head around this. Anyone who has tried to clean the equipment will know there are no cleaning rods or brushes which can get inside the equipment to scrub it, and breast milk is very creamy so the cream residue builds up. I felt there was no true way of knowing that they were properly clean, and therefore sterlising at least meant the bugs were killed off. I replaced the whole suction cup assembly every 3 months. Medela were fab and on on one occasion sent me some ex-demo ones free.

- The motor died completely after 7 months. Luckily we had bought through Amazon, so their excellent customer service plus the great 100% Medela guarrantee on all working motor parts meant that we had a new pump, for free, within 1.5 days of speaking to Amazon (keep a record of your order date and reference number).

Good, good luck. Expressing 100% is probably the hardest, yet best, thing I have achieved in my life, second only to having our daughter. You can do it.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]