4.0 out of 5 stars Windows 7 Ready??, 13 Dec. 2009
This review is from: Roccat Kone Max Customization Gaming Mouse (Personal Computers)
Super service from amazon arrived very quickly. The packaging is nice it has a window to open and see exactly what you're getting but with such a price tag that's expected. After removing the mouse I noticed that it is much lighter than my previous Microsoft Wireless Laser Mouse 5000. The batteries in the old mouse gave it some weight so I need to slowly readjust to how the average mouse feels. There's a small plastic storage case with a setup CD and 3 weights (one weight is already in the mouse). Since I'm used to having it heavy I swapped the default weight for the provided 20g taking the total weight to 135g. The other weights are 5, 10 and 15 grams which I need to slowly adapt to.

Now for the setup I installed the setup CD to find out exactly what it is and it has 3 products included:

Firmware
Application
Driver

Roccat incorrectly refer to the application as the `Kone Driver' or `Application Driver', these are in fact separate.

Installing on Windows 7 was a bit of a hassle since the drivers are still in beta. First thing I did was plug the mouse in which doesn't work at all. You need to update the driver and application to the latest version found on the Roccat support site to 1.41 or above. Now if your still using the beta driver you need to copy the "Kone.dll (.sys maybe too)" from the installation directory to the SYSWOW64/System Windows directory and restart your computer. Unplug the mouse (wait 10 secs) and plug it back in this should force redetection and installation but if it doesn't just go to computer management to update.

Now for all the functions to work correctly you need to update the firmware on the mouse itself. Open the installation directory and there is a folder called firmware update (or along those lines) now run the `KoneUpdate.exe' as administrator to update the mouse.

Now with the installation debacle you might be wondering why I still awarded 4 stars for this; well it's sublime to use. The mouse is very customisable from the weight to the lights; I have a standard Windows profile and one for each of my FPS games. The profiles automatically switch depending on which game is launched (they do not return to default once you quit) and you can also assign lights and any other setting to a profile. So for instance when I launch Left 4 Dead the lights change to a nice green to red fade to represent the game and there are some macros to help me take heal quickly. The accuracy of the tracking is excellent especially when I'm coming from a Wireless mouse (one with signal dropouts too). The motion is smooth and when I need speed I can change the DPI (or CPI) in - customisable increments no less - right up to 3200 (which is good for standard action). When I'm sniping or just using Windows I can drop it to sub 2000 for some steadiness. The buttons click with enough response to feel just right and the position of the added buttons is perfect. This really does everything you need and more, you can manage the sensitivity on the X and Y axes individually, use a sensor to track the surface (and auto adjusts laser power), increase acceleration, scroll speeds it goes on and on.

The build quality looks very solid, like most of my reviews now I give the product at least a month before reviewing so I can properly test its endurance and this one has withstood some fair amount of usage and gaming. The cord is pretty standard with a stylised USB connector but should be long enough for most (at least 1.3 metres).

The price is a bit heavy so value wise I would also give it 4/5 but since it works so well it's worth the stretch. Good mouse that few rival but at the price there could be some others to contend, Highly Recommended. The only downside is it doesn't revert back to another profile when you quit a game and the Windows 7 drivers still need packaging properly.

[Add comment]