3.0 out of 5 stars Comes off a little silly, 22 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Something, Maybe (Paperback)
I'm conflicted with this story. On the one hand, I did truly enjoy it, I read it all in one go turning the pages quickly to find out what happens next.

On the other hand...it just seemed...silly. Hannah was an irritating protagonist, but I didn't hate her for it. I don't know how to explain it, but although there were many times I just wanted to shake some sense into her, and into Elizabeth Scott for writing some of the driveling nonsense, it didn't hinder my enjoyment of the story. Not sure if that made sense.

Here's the thing:

we spend 90% of the book with Hannah continuously repeating herself. Especially when it comes to Josh. Josh is perfect, kind, sweet, caring. If only everyone could be more like Josh. Oh, she's not good enough for Josh because he's just so sweet and wonderful. Look! Josh is reading a book, oh he's just so clever and smart and perfect. Josh is not taking a lunch break, he's just so perfect and hard working. Josh is talking about his endless amount of homework, he's so smart and responsible. And perfect.

It got to a point where it was ruining my perception of Hannah. I don't know how many times she needs to repeat it in one short novel. We get it. We're not stupid. We understand that this is how she perceives Josh, you can stop ramming it into our heads now!

And then there's Finn. Good old Finn. Funny, sarcastic, awkward Finn, who very obviously cares about Hannah, but Hannah doesn't see it for some reason. He goes around beating up bullies for her, and she sits there thinking HE'S a bully. Honestly, this girl is an idiot.

Her friend, who isn't even THERE to see it happen, is more aware of what's going on than Hannah herself is. And yes, her dad is this Hugh Hefner wannabe who lives in a mansion with his playboy bunnies, and abandoned her when she was a child, and everything that happened there between them was very predictable and expected.

In fact, this whole story was overly predictable.

I loved Hannah's mom. I actually thought she was such a well-written character and her development was the most interesting and impressive out of all other characters. I went in expecting to hate her, but although she is very...different...and is quite outrageous in her behaviour, I found her amusing and endearing. I thought the way she really cares about her daughter was very evident, despite her actions, and her backstory with her ex-husband was touching and profound.

I wish Scott could have given us more time with Finn and Hannah. I felt a little robbed to tell you the truth. The whole story was building up to this amazing moment with them, and she only gave us a couple of pages worth. Disappointing to say the least.

All in all, I did, strangely enough, enjoy the story. But I also expected SO MUCH MORE out of it.

And Scott: LESS REPETITIVENESS PLEASE!!

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]