3.0 out of 5 stars Not one of Ry Cooder's best, 14 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Live in San Francisco (Audio CD)
Ry Cooder fans like me will want this in their collections, but it's not one of his best albums by any means. There are some great moments, but also some rather weaker stuff and the live sound isn't great.

Good bits first: there are cracking versions of Vigilante Man and Crazy 'Bout An Automobile and there is, of course, some really fine guitar work in plenty of other places. The opening of Volver Volver is wonderful, for example...but the rest of it really isn't up to much, including some pretty dodgy tuning in Juliette Commagere's vocals. And that rather sums up the album for me - great in places but pretty ordinary overall.

Part of the problem is the sound, which is woolly, boomy and indistinct a good deal of the time. There is also a lot of intrusive audience noise, including a lot of that whooping in completely inappropriate places which is all about drawing attention to the whooper and nothing to do with appreciation of the music. It really needed to be mixed down because for me it spoils quite a lot of the quieter bits. (And what is it about Goodnight Irene? It's a pretty dull song and first Eric Clapton and now Ry Cooder have released...well...dull recordings of it. It's a mystery to me.)

I've loved Ry Cooder's music since I discovered Bop Till You Drop in 1979 (better late than never) and I'll certainly listen to anything by him, but I can't see me playing this very often. I suspect I'd have loved it if I'd been there, but as a record I can only give it a lukewarm recommendation.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 8 Oct 2013 18:14:14 BDT
I'm listening to it on my rega planar 3 turntable , and its one of the purest,freshest, crispest live recordings I've heard . Don't understand your description of the sound quality. I've got loads of Cooder bootlegs, and none have near the same sound quality as this recording ...

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Oct 2013 18:45:22 BDT
Sid Nuncius says:
Fair enough! I haven't heard any Cooder bootlegs to compare this to, and I suppose it may just be a combination of my equipment and ears - although I listen to it mainly through my Bose QC2 headphones, which normally give me great sound. All I can say is, that's how it sounds to me. I'm glad you enjoy it more than I do and I'm glad you've posted a review to that effect so that others will be able to make a judgement.

Kind regards

Review Details

Item

Reviewer

Sid Nuncius
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)

Location: London