4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic sound quality - but very expensive, 25 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Sennheiser G4ME ZERO PC Gaming Over-Ear Headset - White (Personal Computers)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Some say the earpads are so soft they must be made from kittens' tummy fur. Others say the sound quality is so good they must be made from the biblical Horns of Jericho. All we know is that the sound quality of the G4ME ZERO absolutely kicks ass.

The sound quality is EXCELLENT - easily the best headset I've ever tried, though I haven't tried that many.

Lets be clear - I am not an audiophile. In fact until I received these, my standard headset was the budget Sennheiser HD 201, which only cost £15. Hmmm, £15 vs £200 - is the G4ME ZERO 13 times better than the HD 201? To be honest, that's the wrong question to ask. If you're considering buying a G4ME ZERO headset then you're the type of person who wants the best and isn't too worried about cost.

So, is the G4ME ZERO better than my trusty HD 201? You'd hope so, wouldn't you! I spent about 20 minutes swapping between the two headsets in an attempt to determine the differences.

Firstly, the G4ME ZERO is slightly louder than the HD 201's. The sound is noticeably clearer, richer and fuller - by contrast the HD 201 sounded a little muffled. But don't get me wrong, for the price my HD 201 headset has excellent sound quality.

I use my PC's sound card to turn up the bass slightly because I listen to a lot of dance music. With the G4ME ZERO it feels like I have the Ministry of Sound strapped to my head - no kidding. (I'm using the excellent ASUS Xonar DG 5.1 card).

The headphones claim to be noise blocking. Well, they do block *most* sound leaking in/out, but they are definitely not perfect and the marketing claims seem a little exaggerated,

I really like the aesthetics of these. The white plastic reminds me of Stormtroopers. And the shiny red trim looks great too.

I played Bioshock and Battlefield 3 to test these out in a gaming scenario. To be honest, there wasn't *that* much difference compared to my HD 201's, though the G4ME ZERO headset definitely did have slightly better sound quality - the game felt more immersive somehow.

The microphone auto-mutes when you push it up, which is a handy feature. I would have liked a removable or retractable microphone - I like to wear headphones in bed and the microphone does get in the way a little bit.

The volume control on the right earpad is convenient and easy to use. It actually doesn't mute the sound completely at the lowest level, which I found surprising. Though perhaps that's what the majority of gamers want.

The sound quality of the microphone is fantastic. I tested it using a Skype test call and it is crystal clear. Until now I've been using my webcam's built-in microphone which, quite frankly, is pretty poor. I'm going to be recording an audio book soon and I had been considering buying some professional equipment. But I'm so impressed with the G4ME ZERO's microphone that I won't bother.

The headset is very comfortable and fairly light - though my HD 201's are probably slightly more comfortable just because they are even lighter.

The cord is long and feels good quality - not just cheap plastic/rubber like my HD 201's. The connectors are standard 3.5mm jacks - one for headphones and one for the microphone. Be warned that if you have more than about 15cm between your Mic and Headphone sockets, these cables probably won't stretch far enough.

If you're choosing between this headset and the G4ME ONE, the only difference I can see is that the ZERO has a foldable design with hinged parts, whereas the ONE has a different headband.

In summary: this is the best headset I have ever owned. The sound quality (including the microphone) is absolutely fantastic. Yes, they are expensive, and I'd struggle to say they are good value for money, especially compared to my £15 HD 201 headphones.

The G4ME ZERO headset is very nearly perfect. They probably won't leave my head much for the next few weeks.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]