3.0 out of 5 stars It's okay but left me feeling a bit uncomfortable, 6 Oct 2013
This review is from: Beneath This Man (Kindle Edition)
This is book 2 of the series. I have read 1 and am unsure about tackling 3 truth be told. I am no book snob. I am an avid reader of the 'Dominant but Damaged Rich Guy' genre popularised by FSOG. I then went on to the (superior in my opinion) Bared to You series. Jesse Ward is no Gideon Cross or even Christian Grey he lacks the charisma of Gideon and the presence of Christian. I don't believe that this man would be able to get a woman to drop her pants in 24 hours.

I like the escapism, the unrealistic drama and the filth! The female protagonist is never really our focus, she is 20 something supposedly 'feisty' and different to every woman the Dom Rich Guy has met. Normally I live with this because she is the catalyst for change in that person. They relent their selfish ways and at some point it becomes a partnership. Along the way we get drama, revelations and hot sex. This does not happen in Ava and Jesse's world. He says jump and she says how high. He is not just domineering, it's borderline abusive. If he was fat, poor and unattractive he'd be on Jeremy Kyle. The things he does to Ava are wrong viewed at any angle and she never outright challenges him except for short bursts of disobedience in her head. In the first book there is a particularly uncomfortable scene in her bedroom when she is 'stealth attacked' for want of a better description.

The Drama: Slow to come and when it does it feels rushed, like we need to get it out of the way for more sex.

The Sex: Repetitive and quite tame (My need for kink may have been ratcheted up by reading other novels admittedly) It is the same over and over. I actually skipped it to get to the point of the story.

The Revelations: Again it took so long for her to work out something that had been happening since book 1 I was nearly tearing my hair out. They come sharp and quick towards the end of the book and are good plot devices but her reactions are so bizarre I almost didn't finish reading.

Writing: It better than some I have read in this genre to be honest, but there are numerous typos and an over reliance on profanity. I am no prude but I would imagine two fairly educated people would have a more diverse vocabulary.

It gets 3 stars because of the plethora of FSOG copycats I have read it holds its own and if like me this particular sub-genre is like chewing gum for the mind in the bath then go for it.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]