1.0 out of 5 stars Baffled by the Hype, 22 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Before I Go To Sleep (Kindle Edition)
I sometimes wonder whether I am reading the same book as some of these reviewers. The last time I was as disappointed in a book as this was The Da Vinci Code, with which Before I Go to Sleep has much in common.

BIGS is poorly written - 'she turned to him, he turned to her'; I'm amazed they weren't perpetually dizzy - and the inconsistencies and absurdities in the plot were gob-smackingly awful. It reads exactly as it is - a first attempt by someone who has been 'taught' how to write.

SPOILER ALERT - if in spite of this review you still intend buying this book, look away now.

No-one would write in a journal as Chrissy has written - that much detail? No way. Could anyone actually believe that a patient as seriously compromised as this would be allowed to discharge themselves and live without medical supervision? Could you believe that Chrissy could actually have been handed over to 'someone' without any checks being made? Can you believe that a medical professional could behave the way Dr Nash does throughout? Why didn't Adam realise for 4 months that his mother was AWOL? Why, when Claire asked Chrissy to describe Ben, did she first ask about the colour of his hair and not the fact that he had a bloody great SCAR ON HIS CHEEK??? Worst of all, if Claire knew about Chrissy's 'affair', including where they used to meet, why did the police not pursue her lover as a possible culprit in her attack? Clearly they weren't discreet, would he have been so difficult to find?

And there are more - so many more- gaping great flaws, but I wasted time reading it, I don't want to waste any more time reviewing it.

Ok if you've read this far and haven't already bought the book, take my advice - don't. Want a really good 'psychological thriller'? 'We need to Talk About Kevin'

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 8 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 71-77 of 77 posts in this discussion
Posted on 3 Sep 2014 20:44:13 BDT
patsy says:
Ive just turned off tracking this review...obviously people are still reading and reaching similar conclusins yet it remains 4*...go figure! But sour grapes....you bet! Must have made a fortune on this nonsense.....

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Feb 2015 13:01:54 GMT
Why apologise?

Posted on 23 Feb 2015 10:03:43 GMT
Last edited by the author on 23 Feb 2015 10:06:50 GMT
I've not read this but agree that WE NEED TO TALK ABOUT KEVIN is a seriously good example of its genre and that Lionel Schriver's prose style is finely honed (she was a journalist first, after all, whereas I've just been listening to Watson on a radio 4 book programme (which prompted me to look him up on this site) and he worked in the NHS prior to writing BIGS; presumably not good training for a writer, though no doubt he'll improve. If the book gets cheaper on kindle, I might buy it to try it for myself but, on the assumption we share critical sensibilities, your review deters me for now. Have you tried GIRL ON A TRAIN? It sounds more 'our' sort of thing! Thanks. (Oh, when I wrote the above I'd didn't realise there were so many responses, so editing mine to apologise if I've repeated anything as I don't have time to read the whole thread!).

Posted on 26 Feb 2015 10:49:06 GMT
Last edited by the author on 26 Feb 2015 10:50:53 GMT
pigsmayfly says:
I'm glad I read this review as I was bored after part one. I started out on the journal, but after only a few pages, I paused - there seemed to be a very transparent, albeit incredulous, plot. So I commited the ultimate sin and skipped to the end, to see if I had been missing something or if the reader was supposed to believe this woman had been put into the care of someone who wasn't her husband without anyone noticing. This indeed seems to be the case.

We Need to Talk About Kevin is very different. It is believable. Perhaps a little transparent in that I thought it was obvious the letters were to a husband who was dead. However, having been throughh bereavement and finding writing such letters cathartic, perhaps that wasn't obvious to many. I didn't enjoy the book, I carried on reading because I was transfixed with horror at the autrocites committed, and the autrocities you could see coming. Insidious acts of depravity, increasing in magnitude committed within the domestic environment. Still makes me shiver! I would read this 10 times over rather than suffer the boredom of continuing with BIGS.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Feb 2015 11:35:59 GMT
What amazes me is that even respectable professional reviewers seemed to think this was a good book. I read a recent review of this author's new book (can't remember the title, or be bothered to look it up), in The Sunday Times, which said something like it lacked the sophistication of BIGTS plot, and the believability of it's characters! What's wrong with these people?!

I agree with you about WNTTAK pigsmayfly. I didn't enjoy it either, for the same reasons as you, even though I appreciated that it was very well written. The ending was one of the most disturbing and upsetting I have ever read. As authors, there is no comparison between Shriver and Watson. Watson doesn't come near her.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Jun 2015 13:20:58 BDT
I'm shocked no one else thought to mention the appalling attempt at writing from a female perspective. watson just doesn't get us females and doesn't portray us well. Totally agree with this review in all other respects - well said.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Jun 2015 19:02:59 BDT
You're absolutely right there Nojiggerchick! It's a while since I read it now, but I remember thinking that Christine must be one of the most boring women in literature. But then again, all the characters, including the men, were boring. None of them was properly developed and all were one-dimensional.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next ›