1.0 out of 5 stars Baffled by the Hype, 22 Jan 2012
This review is from: Before I Go To Sleep (Kindle Edition)
I sometimes wonder whether I am reading the same book as some of these reviewers. The last time I was as disappointed in a book as this was The Da Vinci Code, with which Before I Go to Sleep has much in common.

BIGS is poorly written - 'she turned to him, he turned to her'; I'm amazed they weren't perpetually dizzy - and the inconsistencies and absurdities in the plot were gob-smackingly awful. It reads exactly as it is - a first attempt by someone who has been 'taught' how to write.

SPOILER ALERT - if in spite of this review you still intend buying this book, look away now.

No-one would write in a journal as Chrissy has written - that much detail? No way. Could anyone actually believe that a patient as seriously compromised as this would be allowed to discharge themselves and live without medical supervision? Could you believe that Chrissy could actually have been handed over to 'someone' without any checks being made? Can you believe that a medical professional could behave the way Dr Nash does throughout? Why didn't Adam realise for 4 months that his mother was AWOL? Why, when Claire asked Chrissy to describe Ben, did she first ask about the colour of his hair and not the fact that he had a bloody great SCAR ON HIS CHEEK??? Worst of all, if Claire knew about Chrissy's 'affair', including where they used to meet, why did the police not pursue her lover as a possible culprit in her attack? Clearly they weren't discreet, would he have been so difficult to find?

And there are more - so many more- gaping great flaws, but I wasted time reading it, I don't want to waste any more time reviewing it.

Ok if you've read this far and haven't already bought the book, take my advice - don't. Want a really good 'psychological thriller'? 'We need to Talk About Kevin'

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 11 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 67 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 25 Jan 2012 10:07:45 GMT
I enjoyed the book. Certainly not one of the best books I've read but intriguing and quite a page turner. I agree that no-one could written a journal with that much detail though. But I also thought that about We Must Talk About Kevin. I admit I only ready about 1/4 of the book, but I couldn't take seriously the fact that Kevin's mother was writing such long incredibly detailed letters to her estranged husband! In the end, each to their own.

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Jan 2012 12:53:18 GMT
Gemica says:
You should have read Kevin to the end - completely explains why she's writing to him!

Posted on 25 Jan 2012 22:01:06 GMT
Last edited by the author on 26 Jan 2012 20:47:32 GMT
A Haley says:
Sorry to other reviewers, but I have to completely agree with the above review. I first heard of this book last summer when it was reviewed on Simon Mayo's drive time show and I couldn't wait for the paperback to come out (I always read in bed on on the train so the hardback would not have been practical). I am just about to read the final 40 pages, which promise to be the only exciting part of the book. The first 8/10ths of the book have been boring and tedious. I am not knocking the author because I don't know quite how else you could write about this type of amnesia, but I was very disappointed. I can only assume that the reviews on the jacket and front pages have been taken out of context because I cannot relate to them. Sorry!

I have now read the final 40 pages and they have only added to my disappointment. Sorry

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Jan 2012 10:25:01 GMT
I totally agree with the comments above - while the plot is essentially an intriguing one there are so many inconsistencies in this book, mainly why didn't anyone realise where Chrissy was, and why didn't anyone find her attacker, wouldn't have been difficult

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Jan 2012 10:25:43 GMT

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Feb 2012 20:44:58 GMT
Cecilia says:
'We Need to Talk About Kevin' had one of the most heart stopping endings I have ever read - and not the one you may be expecting. Revelation arrives with slowly building comprehension in the final chapters. It did take a while to get into the book, but once I had, I couldn't put it down. A very clever and thought provoking read. I've seen the film too and, although good, the book is better.

Posted on 13 Feb 2012 23:32:30 GMT
patsy says:
Absolutey!! I carried on because I thought I must be missing something - and what about that 'and then we all went home for tea' ending???? Sorry, Richard and Judy surely you can do better than this? Utter tosh, implausible isnt the word!! Cant even be bothered to list all the nonsense either!!

Posted on 14 Feb 2012 02:29:41 GMT
Chatty Kathy says:
I am so glad it wasn't just me who had the thoughts shown above! This book received such great reviews and in the beginning I found it eerily intriguing. But.....for more read' baffled by the hype'

Posted on 14 Feb 2012 11:15:18 GMT
Barberella says:

Posted on 14 Feb 2012 15:01:50 GMT
OEJ says:
Gemica, I also agree with your views on this book. Characterisation is weak and the prose (for want of a better word) is bland and like-a-first-time-writer. There is no style, no identity from a writing perspective. What it does have is an interesting idea which keeps readers guessing to the end, but that's pretty much it. Sadly it seems that these days that's all you need to make a No.1 best-seller and conversion to the big screen. There are countless numbers of better writers out there who haven't tasted success like this, but I suppose high talent does not necessarily equate to high esteem. If this novel had been on X-Factor for Books, it would have won. What does that tell you?
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.1 out of 5 stars (2,530 customer reviews)
 (1,404)