5.0 out of 5 stars 9/10th science 1/10th recipes, this is NOT a diet book, 30 Sept. 2011
This review is from: Wheat Belly (Hardcover)
This is not a diet book, its a revolution with justifiable cause, in the guise of a book. This is NOT a get rich quick fad diet, it is an easy to read scientific explanation of how the human body reacts to wheat and high carbohydrate foods, but especially Wheat as we know it today, the genetically modified stuff that has gone from 4 foot tall waving amber fields to a stubby 2 foot tall hybridised, radiated and chemically altered something. By the way its also addictive, fully chemically addictive, you as a wheat eating, bread eater, whether wholemeal, organic, or white, pies pastries, pasta or noodle are an addict, a junkie, as bad as a smoker giving up his weed, you don't want to give up wheat, the thought of giving up wheat gives you goose bumps and you reach for that slice of cake or a piece of toast to comfort yourself. I can attest to the addiction, having had horrible withdrawal symptoms for 5 days when I stopped using wheat.

As well as being addictive it also causes terrible spikes in your blood sugar followed two hours later by terrible lows. You have wheat, toast, or cereal for breakfast, two hours later your addiction AND your blood sugar are screaming for more, so you grab a coffee and a cake, two hours later you are feeling tired and sluggish and really, really feel like a bagette or a burger (again addiction and low blood sugar) with strong coffee to get your brain back in order. By 2 or 3 pm, you are ready for your bed, so you grab a mars bar or another cake and eat at your desk, yet another blood spike and addiction reaction. By dinner time you have already eaten an extra 400 to 800 calories and still haven't had your biggest meal of the day. Its no wonder we are all seeing more and more pot bellies. 30 years ago it was the rare fat young adults that got stared at in the high street, now it's the rare slim ones who get stared at, because be honest, how many wheat belly's have you seen today flopping over the tops of jeans just walking around town.

I bought this book after stumbling on it with a mention from a friend of a friend on Facebook. After reading it I gave up wheat immediately and eased off on all other grains. I am clinically obese, and have been piling on weight for 25 years. All through those years I have been 'high grain low fat' and exercised regularly as recommended by my doctors my dietician, my weight watchers counsellors (7 in all) and my slimming world coaches (6 of them) and even strangers in the street, look where its gotten me, fat and unhealthy. This book has thrown all their 'advice' in the bin, turned it completely on its head. But, look now, day 11 and 9lbs down, I can hear you scoff from this distance "yeh, but any diet will give you an initial weight loss", My normal reply to that is "no 'normal' diet will give that kind of weight loss when you are eating bacon and fried eggs for breakfast, steaks and chips for dinner, kebab for supper, and as many nuts and full fat cheese, cream, butter and yoghurt as you like".

I am losing weight because I am no longer addicted to wheat, my calorie intake has dropped dramatically because I no longer crave wheat. I am now controlling my carb levels so I no longer have sugar lows where I just HAVE to have something to eat. I no longer 'prowl' the kitchen, opening cupboard doors and the fridge, looking for something that's 'guilt free' or low calorie/ low fat to eat only two hours after eating a full meal. I am no longer HUNGRY between meals, no longer snacking and I feel GREAT!

If any of these descriptions ring a bell, or you just want to shift that spare tire or improve your health, read the first chapter or two on 'look see' and buy the book.

If you want to scoff, please do the decent thing and buy the book, read it AND do the eating plan for a month before slagging this book off.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 8 Nov 2011 20:45:37 GMT
G R Jose says:

Posted on 15 Feb 2012 14:05:39 GMT
Wulfgar says:
Excellent review. Glad to learn of your remarkable progress!

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Jun 2012 10:24:39 BDT
Last edited by the author on 6 Jun 2012 10:27:48 BDT
book lover says:
I'm glad that you have had success with your change to your eating habits. Keep up the good work.

As for the comment above, users always say that when they are in denial about their behaviour. Weed is addictive, just read some of the long term research on impact of mental health and depression.

Posted on 13 Jun 2012 11:43:37 BDT
Chris Combe says:
You sound just like me. I've been battling with weight problems for nearly 20 years, have a plethora of health problems (pre-diabetic is the latest) and have tried Weight Watchers, Slimming World and all kind of other plans and fads to try and beat the bulge, but not have worked on a long-term basis. I've read Gary Taubes's excellent "Why We Get Fat" and will probably get this book as well.

Good luck with it.

Posted on 29 Jun 2012 21:05:26 BDT
AJ says:
How is your weight loss progressing/ I do believe wheat is very addictive, and maybe this is why I have slowly but steadily put on weight, over the years..I also have a lot of inflammation and pain, does this book have recipes.. well done on your weightloss.

thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Aug 2014 08:17:26 BDT
Mrs G says:
I notice that there are wheat belly cook books available.

Posted on 28 Aug 2014 11:27:39 BDT
AJ says:
Thanks for your review, what do you eat if you want something bready, or cakey, I realise now you may not crave such things, but what would you be able to eat if you do not eat wheat? Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Aug 2014 16:25:00 BDT
Wulfgar says:
I also heartily recommend the book 'FAT CHANCE' by Dr Lustig.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›