1.0 out of 5 stars Good to start with, but could end up potentially dangerous, 17 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Philips HD4671/20 Energy Efficient Kettle, 3000 Watt, 1.7 Litre - Brushed Metal (Kitchen & Home)
I've owned two of these kettles; the original was bought in July 2010 from Amazon, & the second was a replacement received from Philips in May 2012 due to the first unit developing (what I consider to be) a dangerous fault.

I'm writing because the replacement kettle has recently developed the same problem, so as much as I like the kettle for it's fast boiling, pop-up one-handed button-release lid & pleasant appearance, it's going in the bin & I shan't be ordering another; with such a long gap between the two kettles being supplied, I'm convinced this is a design-fault & not just bad luck, & so I felt it important to forewarn potential owners.

The problem is that, over time, the on/off switch starts being randomly unable to switch OFF automatically when the water reaches boiling point. (For not the first time, I've just returned to my kitchen filling with steam because the kettle didn't switch off...).

Removing the kettle from the base & then working the switch on & off a few times seems to get the auto switch-off working again for a while, but you really shouldn't have to do this with a 240v electrical appliance!

To their credit, Philips were swift & helpful in replacing the first unit, but no luck this time as I was politely but flatly told I was out of warranty...

So in summary, nice to use & to look at, but be warned about the switch!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 6 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 24 Jun 2013 18:39:50 BDT
In my experience the problem you describe happens when a drop of water blocks the hole between the kettle body and cut-out.

Posted on 29 Dec 2013 09:19:07 GMT
 says:
Your redress is not with Philips but with Amazon under the Sale of Goods Act, as that extends your cover up to 6 years.

Posted on 29 Jan 2014 19:01:41 GMT
Samurai says:
Ordered one as Christmas present, and it's doing the same thing to us, just 1 month in.

Going to order a replacement, but if it happens again I'm getting my money back.

Keeps switching off mid-boil and unless you're watching it, you'll never know if the water is at the correct temp!

Posted on 8 Feb 2014 08:17:11 GMT
John Penrose says:
I have owned one of these kettles for probably 3 years. The plastic see through parts are now cracking and falling apart, presumably caused by the heat of the boiling water. I have thrown the kettle away and will not be buying another.

Posted on 5 Mar 2014 00:30:51 GMT
I have the same issue re not switching off. I've had the kettle 3 years and its just started doing this in the last 6 months or so, and its also becoming reluctant to switch on occasionally. Much as I like the kettle otherwise, you have to conclude its a design fault and, given what it is, a safety issue that Philips really should fix.

Posted on 5 Apr 2014 23:08:45 BDT
Mine has done exactly the same ..... I have just burnt myself trying to get a kettle which has been boiling for over 5 minutes to the sink. Avoid buying - seriously dangerous.

Posted on 12 May 2014 22:46:31 BDT
Nutterz says:
I have the same problem on a 3-month old kettle. These kettles are dangerous. Cheap way of turning your kitchen into a sauna, but then not funny when water is dripping off your light switch!

Posted on 12 Jul 2014 02:39:01 BDT
xtrim says:
What a surprise. I'm looking for my 4th kettle after Tefal and Siemens that sometimes failed to switch off automatically, and the Philips that started to leak after 3Y. The Tefal worked well for about a year, the Siemens worked well for about a month.
Thanks J. Creasey I'm not buying this one...

Posted on 2 Oct 2014 22:39:31 BDT
Mags. says:
Mine, purchased in 2010, had the same fault from new and if I left the kitchen before it boiled I would return to find condensation streaming down the windows and the kettle boiling merrily away, almost jumping of the worktop because it was boiling so furiously. I just got used to not leaving it until it boiled and then turning it off with the switch. The plastic strip in the lid has now crumbled, the automatic lid stopped working some time ago and I am looking for another kettle but not one of these.

Posted on 7 Oct 2014 18:35:27 BDT
TH says:
Please don't put it in the bin! That needs to be recycled
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›