ARRAY(0xafa855bc)

5.0 out of 5 stars The Kindle version is appalling, though (EDIT - no longer true! Hurrah!), 26 Feb 2011
This review is from: The Code of the Woosters: (Jeeves & Wooster) (Kindle Edition)
EDIT - THEY SEEM TO HAVE FIXED IT. HOORAY!

Going by the new eBook version now available for download, they've fixed all the old problems there were with this and many of the Wodehouse books. This is great cause for celebration, so I withdraw my negative comments. I've left them below for the record, but while I haven't checked this book throughout for typos etc. the formatting really does seem to be 100% massively improved and entirely readable at last. Great news!

A CLASSIC NOVEL - POOR ON KINDLE

I started writing this review with the express purpose of publicly complaining at the poor job done of converting Wodehouse's books to eBooks, and wanted to give this particular product 1/5 to emphasise the point, but it feels like a sin to put anything other than 5 stars next to this - perhaps Wodehouse's very best book.

On Kindle it is useless, unfortunately, along with all of Wodehouse's books. I'm not sure where the publisher got the text files, probably scans of the original. But whilst the books have been attractively set in Arrow's new paperbacks, in eBook form all of Wodehouse's books suffer from having paragraph breaks as well as indentations, and also boast tacky HTML straight inverted commas. Lazy, lazy, lazy. Ten minutes of find+replace in Word and they could have fixed this. It makes it hard to read (you can never get into the flow, having to jump rather than flow from paragraph to paragraph) and looks cheap and nasty. You also have to turn pages probably 30% more than you should, thanks to the pointless spacing.

Pricing, of course, is also less than ideal - but for that I blame the government's 20% VAT on all eBooks (whereas books suffer 0%).

Wodehouse deserves better.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 26 Apr 2012 11:41:34 BDT
I'm currently rerading this on Kindle and I fully agree - no excuse for shoddy poor layout. For me this is proving the real downfall of Kindle - I've had so many bad examples. At 4.94 (26.04.12) I expect better.

Posted on 22 Apr 2013 18:06:54 BDT
Last edited by the author on 22 Apr 2013 18:07:23 BDT
Gray says:
Although I find myself unaffected by the layout issues that some seem to have when using the Kindle, I felt it appropriate to approve this review and comment - because it manages to clearly review both the book and the kindle shortcomings clearly. Nicely done Paddington.

I am aware that such things as layout, spacing and even choice of font can have a major impact on some - but for some of us it seems to have little negative impact - so personally I would not describe the kindle edition as useless. Quite to the contrary I am rebuilding my Wodehouse collection (which I happily own in paperback) on the Kindle, so that i can have it with me always!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›