5.0 out of 5 stars Takes a lickin', but keeps on tickin'., 7 Jan. 2009
This review is from: Timex T44642PF Expedition Combo Gents White Face Dial Watch (Watch)
Today I bought my third Timex Expedition Combo. I got my first one six years ago and have yet to find another watch with the functions I want for the same price.

I've used the alarm to wake me up, the countdown timer when cooking, the second time display when overseas, the stopwatch for timing animal immobilisation and the hands as a makeshift compass. The Indiglo light is pretty nifty too and I've used it on more than one occasion to help locate a torch or candles in the dark during a power cut.

My previous two Expeditions had pretty hard lives, always getting knocked about, submerged and frequently exposed to dust and mud, but they kept going, mechanically at least. The face cover is also pretty thick and resilient. My first one only got pitted because I stupidly wore it while welding and then I accidently broke it months later by tapping it too hard with an ankus. The digital part was already playing up by then (see below), so it was already on its way out.
The strap usually lasted a fair few months before the stitching rotted (sweat) and/or ripped where it joins the timepiece. I have a cheap, comfortable and durable backup velcro strap I use for this eventuality.

The biggest problem I find with these watches is that bending the wrist back (when pushing things, for example) sometimes presses the bottom left button. After a couple of years or so, the button sticks in and the digital display becomes inoperable. This can be fixed temporarily, but it will start to happen again and again. My most recent attempt to fix this problem resulted in the last watch's demise.
Another minor quibble I have is that the display shows the date in US style only, that is: mm - dd, which I find slightly annoying.

Even with these complaints I still think it's a great watch and will continue to buy them until I find something better at a similar price.
Also, I have quite thin wrists and the timepiece is of such a size that it doesn't look huge on me!

[Add comment]