2.0 out of 5 stars Constant problem with the Defrost Mode, 8 Dec. 2009
This review is from: De'Longhi DEM10 Compact Dehumidifier (Kitchen & Home)
I bought a DEM10 on Amazon about 2 months ago. Initial performance was very good and it successfully managed to reduce the humidity in a couple of the damp rooms in my apartment. After about two weeks, it started to regularly slip into defrost/pause mode even though room temperature was probably about 18C. I called Delonghi customer service and they confirmed that this was incorrect behaviour. Through Amazon I asked for a replacement device and received one promptly. Unfortunately I experienced the exact same problem with the second model. Initial performance was good but again it started to spend nearly 50% of the time in the fan-only/defrost mode. Another call to Delonghi confirmed that they were seeing problems with the model.
I returned the device and asked for a full refund which I received promptly. It's a pity as when it worked, it worked very well.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 6 Feb 2012 22:07:54 GMT
B. Kerai says:
I too have purchased De longhi dehumidifier, this product also has same fault - slipping into frost mode (room temp was 17 to 20 degrees) Had this item replaced by Amazon - second one had same problem too... very disappointed! Amazon were great in replacing and then refunding!

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Oct 2012 12:28:31 GMT
Last edited by the author on 28 Oct 2012 12:29:48 GMT
D. Angove says:
iv had mine now for 3 years and its only gone in defrost mode about 3 times this is an excellent item so pleased i bought it wouldent be with out it now.

Posted on 29 Oct 2012 19:04:12 GMT
Blazej says:
Unfortunately, I have the same problem. I reset it and it starts working again. Oh well..

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Oct 2012 13:52:02 GMT
Olive Murphy says:
Do you mind posting how to reset it? I've just started my dem10 for the winter and noticed it goes into defrost mode when the temp of the room is at 18C. Many thanks.

Posted on 1 Nov 2012 11:37:51 GMT
Geena D says:
I've had the same problem with it slipping into defrost mode between 17-20 degrees. When it first happened about two months after I bought it, I looked at the manual and realised there's a filter at the front that needs cleaning every week. Once I did this, it was prepared to work at 15 degrees and much more effectively than it had been. All the same, we've had some powercuts recently and that has triggered the defrost mode again. All in all, I think it's a bit too sensitive.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Feb 2013 12:27:05 GMT
moz says:
simply unplug it - this should reset it

Posted on 7 Aug 2013 11:26:33 BDT
Usually the reason for going into defrost mode is dirty filter or the device losing gas. Clean the filter first (hoovering it or using the shower) and try if it still plays up.

Posted on 27 Dec 2013 12:03:57 GMT
Sara says:
I had the same problem intermittently with my unit slipping into defrost/pause mode but moving the unit around the room seemed to work around the issue - hardly ideal, though. However a larger issue was that the condenser stopped working when the unit was still under warranty, I got the condenser replaced but the nearest repairer was a considerable distance away from me and I had to pay labour costs. The replacement condenser also broke about 9 months later. I would not recommend this unit and would not buy another one. I have now bought an eBAC dehumidifier, though expensive it is better in every way.

Posted on 7 Jan 2015 22:15:54 GMT
Lalu says:
My dehum also kept slipping into frost mode - thanks to everyones advice I cleaned the filter and it solved the problem! Thank you very much. (I suppose I should have read the manual if I could find it!)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›