1.0 out of 5 stars Buggy and unreliable, 12 Jan 2009
This review is from: Sky DRX890 Sky+ HD Digibox 500GB (discontinued by manufacturer) (Accessory)
I got a brand new Sky +HD box installed and before the day was out it had failed! First sign of trouble was that when I tried to watch a programme I had recorded the box switched itself off. I had to disconnect it from the power for two minutes before the box would function again. However the picture kept freezing when I was watching the recording, again requiring unplugging etc. Then later that day when I went to change channel, the box would not respond - again a power off. Finally I had programmed it to record a programme when I was out. On returning home it had not recorded and would not record when I tried a manual record. I tried unplugging it again, this time it would not come out of standby mode. I phoned Sky went through their troubleshooting (repeating the unplugging, then unplugging both power and Sat cable feeds and finally trying to force reboot it). Nothing worked. I had to wait 9 weeks from ordering to get the box, now I have another week to wait to get it replaced. The box I was supplied with was made by Amstrad (although I had been told that it would be Samsung, Thompson or Pace) - bad news as the only other Sky digibox that has ever failed on me was an Amstrad. The Pace boxes (both standard and Sky +) that I have had, have never given me any trouble.

During the few hours my Sky +HD box worked, I have to say I was underwhelmed by the improvement in the picture on my LG 37inch HD (1080P) LCD TV. Not sure if this is because HD is over rated or my TV does a better than average job of upscaling SD broadcasts.

I will give this one more go, but if my replacement box gives trouble I will be asking for my money back and reverting to my 100% reliable Pace Sky + box.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 29 Mar 2009 15:19:22 BDT
KLM says:
I had one installed 3 weeks agoand up to now it has not worked properly, it either doesn't record or if it does it will not let me watch any other channel. Rubbish and i'm committed for another 11 months.

Posted on 29 Mar 2009 15:20:46 BDT
KLM says:
I had one installed 3 weeks ago and up to now it has not worked properly, it either doesn't record or if it does it will not let me watch any other channel. Rubbish and I'm committed for another 11 months.

Posted on 25 Sep 2010 04:59:53 BDT
I bought the original Thomson Sky HD box 2.5 years ago, and was forced to return it after 6 weeks as it dumped programmes I had recorded.
Instead I bought a Dark Box which was better in some ways, although it didn't possess a PVR feature and didn't allow me use of most of the other features Sky provides.

So - about 18 months back, I heard that Pace now made the newer Sky HD boxes, so I paid my 300 quid and bought one.
FANTASTIC !!
It works brilliantly ( except for one important matter ) and the HD picture quality is truly AWESOME !!!
I am using 2 Samsungs through a quad LNB - the new 46" LED set and more recently the 46" 3D HD Model.

ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT, and with 41 HD Channels to choose from, with more coming on-stream in August, I CANNOT UNDERSTAND WHY some of the comments above are so un-complimentary.
I can only assume that many of these people have not got their systems set-up properly.
Or - are perhaps blind ?

P.S. The only 'problem ' I have in an otherwise Perfect System is - the Sky HD box does Not allow me to transfer HD recordings in HD .

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Oct 2010 14:10:14 BDT
Last edited by the author on 19 Oct 2010 14:06:26 BDT
E. White says:
Hi Peter,just to add to your comment here as far as I know,hd recordings are copy righted so,it is NOT possible to copy back in hd with most stb`s or hdd recorder`s. In saying this,there may well be a machine/s out there now that are compliant(as my info maybe out dated),but just to stress this is NOT a problem with the skyhd box.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›