1.0 out of 5 stars The fault with the writing..., 27 Jun. 2014
This review is from: The Fault in Our Stars (Paperback)
I appear to be the only person who didn't really like this book. The premise and plot should be very moving but I found the characters lacking in depth and quite unbelievable. I am yet to meet any teenagers who speak in the manner of the main characters save for those angst-ridden precocious souls in Dawson's Creek which is of course also fictional. The dialogue really detracted from what should have been an epic love story and there was too little background detail or internal monologue to make me fond of the characters such that when the inevitable happens I have to admit I wasn't that bothered. Aside from the overdone dialogue the rest of the narrative was very basically written, very disappointing for those of us who have read and been truly moved by such soaring stories as 'Birdsong'' and the like.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 9 Jul 2014 21:50:20 BDT
mizdooleys says:
glad to know Im not the only one who didnt enjoy the book - too much hype me thinks.

Posted on 12 Jul 2014 12:09:15 BDT
V. Mullis says:
I totally agree with you. The dialogue was so 'scripted'. It was similar to episodes of West Wing or other American dramas where everything that anyone said was intelligent, quick witted or amusing. The style of writing was novel in the first couple of chapters but there seemed to be no variation of pace, emotional depth, characterisation etc so the style wore thin. However, it's an 'easy' read and there are a few issues raised that make you think. Worth reading but it may not live up to the hype for every reader.

Posted on 12 Jul 2014 12:09:15 BDT
V. Mullis says:

Posted on 14 Jul 2014 23:25:03 BDT
Agree completely. The dialogue was probably the most pretentious twaddle I ever read. It's not just teenagers who don't speak like this. No human being speaks like this.

"when the inevitable happens I have to admit I wasn't that bothered."

HA! When the inevitable happens I genuinely cheered. Out loud. (Note to Mr Green: when you write a cancer book and a kid dies and your audience cheers, you are perhaps doing it a bit wrong.)

Posted on 26 Jul 2014 11:49:40 BDT
S Leonard says:
I agree with the above comments. I wanted to like the book so much and wondered if there was something wrong with me when I didn't, but the totally unbelievable dialogue and utter lack of character depth left me feeling cold. It's also bizarre that the style of writing varies wildly between trying to sound as intellectual as possible and being written in a very simple manner. Some parts also featured what seemed to be nonsensical phrases and glaring errors.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Aug 2014 09:45:12 BDT
Chrissie says:
I agree with the above i have failed to finish the book .I left them in Amsterdam ! I was highly recommended this book by my sister who i have always regarded as literate however i fail to see anything worthwhile in this text, just another fluffy cancer book, cancer is a nasty disease you either get over it with or without all parts of your body in tact or you die early. I wish people would leave the subject alone , there seems to be an emerging genre of depressingly glib cancer fiction .
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.7 out of 5 stars (6,833 customer reviews)
 (5,480)