ARRAY(0xb596b2e8)

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent package for those who want to make a website but have no idea how!, 29 Mar 2009
This review is from: WebPlus X2 Website Maker (PC) (DVD-ROM)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I think the title of my review sums it up! Professionally, I'm a graphics artist and editor. I'm technically minded, but I've never had a clue about HTML or any of the other jargon associated with the internet. But, I've always wanted to put some of my work online, and this package has been ideal.

If, like me, you need to start right at the beginning, then you probably will like this package. It allows you to create visually stylish pages with a classy look, helped immensely by the nice array of templates provided. I notice one reviewer says you are limited by a maximum page width of 800 pixels, but this isn't true; you can change the width setting on the master page to a higher setting. I needed to do this to display large graphic art, and seeing as my screen is almost 2000 pixels across, a limit of 800 wouldn't have been any good.

I was a little niggled by the registration process. The current insistence on registering your product (yes, I know it helps counter priacy) irks me a bit, and having to phone in this registration felt rather unnecessary. It's free, but as pointed out by others, they will try to sell you a product extension. As the kids from Grange Hill told you, just say no. Or, you can just cope with the registration window reminding you it's there every time you use the software.

The major drawback for me in the actual software, and this I discovered when trying to take a big shortcut and use the template of a very nice artist's website, was that the import function doesn't work very well. You can import simpler pages without much of a problem, but if you try a complex one with frames and lots of complicated HTML features it doesn't seem to be able to cope with them. Nevertheless, this product has sufficient creative features and is easy enough to use that you really are better of just doing it yourself and not borrowing. I ended up starting from scratch, borrowing a few style ideas instead, and have come up with a very nice website for my work.

I might seem to be doing this package a disservice, but trust me when I tell you it's the best web design software I've used. I once leapt into Dreamweaver, custodian of my aforementioned lacking website technical know-how, and gave up after a few days of trying to use it. With this, apart from a few changes and the odd limitation, I didn't have a single problem.

Don't be put off by how complicated some websites might seem, and don't think you can't do as good a job. Sure, there are more complex programmes out there for professional web builders and companies that want the very top end sites, but unless you're one of them, I really think you'll find this software can make you a very nice site. I did, and I had zero knowledge of how to do it before.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 3 Jun 2009 09:11:38 BDT
I appreciate you letting us know about the resizing. My page is 1000 pixels wide on webplus 9 and I freaked a bit thinking I could not keep it (x2 is coming in the post).

Posted on 5 Jun 2009 14:16:29 BDT
Ms. E. Nunn says:
Your review was very helpful, thank you. I was wondering if there is any chance you could give me the address of the website you created with this product as I'm looking into buying this for a friend of mine who wants to use it for a similar reason to yourself, she is an artist and would like a website to show her work and try to sell some of it. It would be interesting and helpful to see what kind of website can be created with this product. Would you say that it is easy to use for an absolute beginner as some of the other reviews made it sound a bit confusing?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.6 out of 5 stars (54 customer reviews)

Used & New from: 15.99