4.0 out of 5 stars AOE reboxed, 20 Dec. 2001
This review is from: Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds (Video Game)
At first i was highly disappointed with this game. The whole thing was just a mod for Age of Kings, and I felt cheated about paying twice for a game that could really have been released as an expansion set for the original.
I was unimpressed with the tutorial missions (largely because very little was new from AoE2), but once I had worked my way through them and onto the Trade Federation (Campaign 1), I found myself becoming increasingly absorbed by the game.
The music is, obviously, from the films, and I found myself humming away as I churned out workers.
Next, you get the heroes/villains from the films, who all have some natty catchphrases that they quote as you move them round the map.
The bonus missions (which become active on completion of each campaign) give you the chance to re-enact "historical" what-if? Star wars battles, such as the struggle for Hoth (Empire Strikes Back opening sequence for the uninitiated).
Unlike AoE2, all units do have a weakness (in AoE multiplayer I ALWAYS got nailed by huge packs of cavalry and trebuchets, no matter how many of my own I produced) - this is largely due to additional fortress units (bounty hunters (anti Sith/Jedi unit)) and AIR POWER. Gone are the days you can just park a cannon outside someones base and reduce it to rubble, because now they just pop over their wall with a few fighters and turn you to ash.
Each race has its own unique abilities and upgrades, making your choice important for the map type (Imperials are usless at sea good on land, Rebels good in the Air etc etc).
Admittedly, it could do with a few more races, but I expect there will be an expansion pack for this game on the cards (depending on initial sales).
The computer AI is improved from AoE (it seems), although it does still like to launch suicide missions with little trickles of single file troops attempting to attack heavily defended turrets (eg one of my scores revealed over 3000 kills for less than 50 losses on Moderate difficulty), and it also suffers on island maps or heavy air/sea dependent missions, where the computer obviously believes that one transport full of troops will do the trick against your entire base.
The real joy comes from playing multiplayer, although I must admit the LAN experience works better for me as I find the MSN zone clunky and awkward to use.
In summary, I found this game better and more interesting than AoE 2 (I only wish it had been released first). If you don't like Age of Empires, and/or you are not a Star Wars freak, then your money would be better spent elsewhere. It needs an expansion set with new races, and an enhanced AI that utilises the tech tree properly to increase the challenge, and GIVE US SOME CUTSCENES ALREADY!!!!!
Enjoy, and if you meet me on the multiplayer battlefield, prepare to get hosed :)

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]