1.0 out of 5 stars TOTALLY RUINED!!!!!!! Deluxe Incantations... and the whole deluxe series!, 25 July 2011
This review is from: Incantations [Remastered] (Audio CD)
Incantations is a wonderful Mike Oldfield album, worth at least 4 - 5 stars, but Universal have totally dropped the ball on this deluxe release...

As mentioned before, there is a jump glitch in part 4 and this is absolutely disgraceful... HOW HAS THIS HAPPENED??!! There's absolutely no excuse for this. It ruins the whole deluxe edition for me, to add insult to injury, I bought both a signed LP and the deluxe CD. I'm really, really disappointed by this. I reckon Universal really need to withdraw all of these defective versions and release this again, PRONTO!!

They say it's a 2011 remastered edition, and apparently Mike oversaw the proceedings... Hummm, I can't believe he'd let something as bad as that glitch go on general release.

Just as they were doing a fantastic deluxe series of Mike's back catalogue, (see the previous 3 releases) this stinker happens. If it's not sorted, then for me the whole deluxe series has been ruined :(

I stopped buying the 2000 remastered editions because there was a similar problem with Ommadawn part 2 (an annoying glitch) sadly this too has got me apprehensive about continuing my deluxe collection, something I was so looking forward to.

Incantations previous releases 5/5 Deluxe Edition 1/5 (1 star for sleeve notes and extra content).

A very disappointed fan!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 28 Jul 2011 14:36:12 BDT
Neil Hunt says:
Universal are re-pressing the CD and replacements will be made available if you email them your details: mk.customerservices@umusic.com for CD and support@universal-music.co.uk for vinyl.

Posted on 2 Aug 2011 19:20:28 BDT
Man, lighten up a bit will you. It is just a bit of plastic and some music and not the end of the world. As reported replacement discs are in production.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Aug 2011 10:48:21 BDT
Last edited by the author on 4 Aug 2011 11:04:42 BDT
Lee Thomas says:
I know about the replacements, I actually wrote this review when I was in a disappointed mood. This was before universal sent me a nice response to my e-mail, offering to send me a replacement and to explain about the glitch in the master tape. However if they knew about this glitch in the first place, why didn't they sort it before they released the album. With their technology it could have been easy to do and would have saved them receiving complaints from dissatisfied fans. It's not just a piece of plastic to me or a just a bit of music. I'm more interested in the quality of the product I paid good money for, and the way an otherwise excellent album has been spoiled. Well anyway, I guess I'm one of these people who like things done right. Thanks for your comment. Take care.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Aug 2011 19:40:39 BDT
Last edited by the author on 8 Aug 2011 19:41:09 BDT
Cloudberry says:
Lee, I go along with what you say - and am also pleased that Universal will provide anyone with a new copy of the first disc, on request. Having had time to think through everything, do you still think the album deserves 1-star or should it now be rated higher? I'm asking you to re-consider your rating. Not certain whether you can actually change it because of the way Amazon works its review system ... just a thought!

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Aug 2011 15:42:23 BDT
Last edited by the author on 10 Aug 2011 16:04:15 BDT
Lee Thomas says:
Hi Geoff, the one star rating I gave is for the currently defective *Deluxe edition* of Incantations. The actual album itself I'd happily give 4 or 5 stars to easily. Which I mentioned in the review.

Granted the old master tapes were damaged (as explained by Universal) but I still don't see how this couldn't have been addressed before the album went out.

Thinking about it also, I'm not happy with this cheapening down in regards to the packaging either. As stated elsewhere, the plastic shroud with 'Deluxe Edition' printed on covering the sleeve has been replaced by a piece of tape you throw away. And there's nothing left to make it match the other deluxe releases. (I understand this might not bother some people, but as this is my review and opinion, I think this is relevant).

As for the extra content, some real good tracks, some fillers (i.e. not really necessary as they're already part of the album) and some criminally missing tracks. One example, 'The Space Movie' mix of Incantations part 4, the one with chants over the guitars. (Listed as 'Spacevocation' on youtube)

Anyway, as soon as the new fixed pressings of the deluxe edition are available and the old faulty ones are long gone, then I'll look into changing my review.

Take care Geoff.

Posted on 17 Mar 2012 18:41:34 GMT
Do you feel the Virgin issue in HDCD is better?, in other words would you say stay with that version, would value your view

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Jun 2012 08:52:27 BDT
I also feel better edition in HDCD format maybe it would be better to listen before you judge, do not you think? marta
‹ Previous 1 Next ›