4.0 out of 5 stars Curates egg, good in parts, 11 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Thomson WHP3001BK Wireless Headphones (Electronics)
What a shame that this product was let down by poor radio electronics.

The Pros.
Overall I was very pleased with the headphones. I took note of previous reviews and made sure that the TV setting for the output signal to a headset was turned up to about halfway and it gave brilliant reception with no distortion or white noise. The headphones are comfortable, but even closed up were a little loose on the top, otherwise they felt comfortable enough although an oval ear dish would be more comfortable to wear. The volume control worked very smoothly and the stereo sound is excellent even to my diminished hearing quality, the on/off button is well placed on one ear cup and the signal search button on the other. All audio functions for on/off, volume and signal tuning are on the headset and nicely accessible, the set up was simple and uncomplicated and worked first time and battery life seems good.

Cons.
It very quickly failed!
The initial irritation I had was splitting the ear cup to fit the two rechargeable batteries and although they do include a diagram it is not much help. Let me say here and now that you will have to apply more force than you would imagine in order to separate the two plastic parts. It is not as you may first think i.e. a click in connection around the circumference of the ear cup that will just prize apart easily with your fingers. Instead it is held together by (4) pop- in type pegs arranged in a square pattern about ½" or 12mm in from the outer edges, so you will need to work your way around prizing outwards as you go and even then you are expecting something to break. Once open, the battery fitting and reassembly is quite straight forward. The next annoyance is the lack of any supplied adapters, the audio input to the base unit is via the standard Red & Black audio plugs which is OK, but they terminate in a 3.5mm stereo jack at the other end which needs to connect to your TV audio output, so unless you happen to have a 3.5mm output socket on your TV you need adapters of some kind such as a `Twin audio plug to a female 3.5mm jack socket' to plug into.

The base radio unit gave me most concern as it is really lightweight and looks poorly made, it did not inspire a lot of confidence and this proved correct. After it working beautifully for about a week and deciding one would be just the job for my elderly mother who's hearing is not so good, it just stopped working. No crackles, no smoke, no warning, just utter failure which from the lack of any red indicator signal light on the base unit, I assume it is a radio failure. So basically that is all I can say, it was quite good while it lasted and I was about to purchase another one for my mother so I was reasonably happy to start with.

My decision now was to just ask Amazon for a replacement which they are doing and I will see if it is just a rogue or something worse with the quality of manufacture of the base unit. I would like to have given this a reasonably high score as I was more than happy with the signal range and sound quality of the headset. I will try to update this review after I receive the replacement and given it another fair trial.

EDIT UPDATE: A replacement was very quickly sent by Amazon and I returned the faulty goods at no cost to myself by using a local collection agent from the supplied Amazon information, all very quick and painless. To date the replacement has worked perfectly and my mother who is well into her eighties can use it easily and it is never off her head. She tells me that she does not even put her hearing aids in anymore to watch the TV, which is great bonus for neighbors as now the TV can be mainly left on mute. If they are put on charge overnight they will last all afternoon and evening with really clear crisp audio. I have changed my initial star rating and deduct half a star for the base unit quality, but give a full 5* for value for money, so a 4.5 star overall.

Update Update! still working very well without any problems and mum loves them.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 17 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 22 Apr 2012 16:22:14 BDT
Last edited by the author on 23 May 2012 15:58:57 BDT
SPud Kelly says:
Good to read peoples comments on this product, especially the bit about inserting the batteries and the trouble they had. I'm sure I won't have the same anxiety when I get to that bit.
There was a mention about needing a 3.5mm female to RCA connector, this was highlighted by Amazon in 'What other people bought'
I have ordered one along with the headphone set.

Update 23 May 2012.
Since receiving my headphones I am able to listen in perfect comfort and joy. I'm amazed how good they are for the price paid. There is really no need to spend lots of money on so called 'Top of the range' equipment. There is a misconception out there that the more you pay, the better product you get, it may have been that way long ago but just not true these days. With regards to pulling the ear piece off to insert batteries, just grab and pull, its very robust.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Apr 2012 19:25:49 BDT
Tg Smith says:
Glad that it has helped you, the bit about the RCA connector is only relevant if you do not have a 3.5mm headphone socket on your TV. With either option you can adjust your headset volume independent of the TV volume for the room, or listen with the TV volume on mute. Since writing my initial review, I received a replacement set from Amazon (very promt service) and can honestly say that the goods are now exceeding expectations, in view of this I would award them a 5* for actual value for money.

Posted on 23 May 2012 12:17:45 BDT
Thanks for the advice on opening the battery compartment - the instructions are useless in this regard.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 May 2012 12:46:43 BDT
Tg Smith says:
Glad it helped folks.

Posted on 21 Nov 2012 23:49:00 GMT
are trebles crispy? can i jump on trampoline while wearing it? and skip the rope? or are they going to fall of my head if i do so?

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Nov 2012 07:43:07 GMT
Heard of Superglue?

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Nov 2012 11:10:19 GMT
i've heard of superglue and i've heard from joy spoilers, they always have something to say....just a thought of someone jumping on trampoline makes you envious, right?

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Nov 2012 11:19:15 GMT
SPud Kelly says:
Common Jimmy Lad, I've never been known as a joy spoiler. If jumping up and down on a trampoline wearing headphones is your thing, then go for it sunshine. I bought these headphones to listen to nice music, they are very good for the job they were designed for. I'm sure the manufacturers didn't consider anyone would be bouncing around with them on. If I wanted to use them that way, I would get a head/sweatband to keep them on and bounce to my hearts content...However at my age (75) I think I'll give it a miss.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Nov 2012 18:26:46 GMT
ok, moonshine.

Posted on 6 Jun 2013 10:32:02 BDT
A Lianos says:
Can you please clarify something. I understand it comes with rechargeable batteries, does it recharge on the station, or you have to remove the batteries to recharge them every time? Thanks
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›