5.0 out of 5 stars Hi-NRG heaven - Great sound quality - Many many classics, 10 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Disco Discharge - Gay Disco & Hi Nrg (Audio CD)
This review is for: Disco Discharge - Gay Disco & Hi Nrg
I just read today that the licence for this CD is expiring, so pretty soon it will be out of print. It doesn't seem so long ago that I bought this. Three years have flown by! Reading that news caused me to dig this out again and I noticed that there is not even a track list on Amazon. So I have provided one below, with some additional comments. My recommendation is to buy this before it goes out of print and the prices race up. I've bought all 16 in the series released to date and I consider them essential.

Disc 1:
01) Boys Town Gang-Disco Kicks (8:35) - This is the remix that was originally on the 12" B-Side of "Can't Take My Eyes Off You". Great track.
02) Kano-It's A War (6:51) - Anything by Kano is good and this is no exception.
03) Macho-I'm A Man (Full Length Album Version) (17:34) - If you haven't already got this it's good, but most people who buy this series will also buy Ben Liebrand's Grand 12-Inches series and we already had this track on Grand 12-Inches 2. So for me this is taking up disc space which could have been better utilised.
04) Free Enterprise-Make It On My Own (Ben Liebrand Remix) (6:22) - The original 12" mix was just over 4 minutes, but in Belgium they released this Ben Liebrand remix as the A-Side with the original mix on the reverse.
05) Fun Fun-Color My Love (7:38) - Co-written with "Call Me" hit-maker Spagna. The vocals sound suspiciously like Spagna too. It's Milli Vanilli all over again!
06) Deodato-S.O.S. (Fire In The Sky) (6:46) - For some reason this wasn't issued as a single in the UK, but it could have been a hit. It's more of a standard dance track reminiscent of Kool & The Gang's "Celebration", which is not surprising because Deodato produced that single.
07) Astaire-Love Trap (8:55) - I love everything Tracey Ackerman recorded for Passion under the name Astaire. This is one of the best. Superb Hi-NRG with a sense of urgency to it. It thunders along at quite a pace.
08) Tapps-Don't Pretend To Know (7:15) - Again, you can't go wrong with Tapps. This is one of their best. "Disco Discharge - Pink Pounders" features another classic from them, "Midnight Lover". Both of these tracks have appeared on other CD's. Although "Midnight Lover (Megamix)" never has. Going that extra mile to secure the unreleased mixes would be my preference, although maybe it no longer exists.
09) Liza Minnelli-Losing My Mind (7:00) - Fantastic Pet Shop Boys production. Liza and PSB is a match made in disco heaven!

Disc 2:
01) Rose Laurens-American Love (6:41) - There are no words to describe how beautiful this track is. It is one of my all-time favourites. I had it on an album called "Gay Anthems" and the quality was not very good, probably ripped from vinyl as there was a lot of hiss and clicks. Then I managed to find it on a Spanish CD called "Dos Decadas Dance 2" and it was too bassy. But it's third time lucky with "Disco Discharge" because the quality here is perfect. Thank you Mr. Pinks.
02) Valerie Claire-I'm A Model (6:08) - I believe this is the first time on CD for this track. It's not a particularly sought after track, but it's frothy lightweight camp nonsense and seems right at home here.
03) Flirts-Passion (Remix) (8:58) - For some reason this track fades rather abruptly. I have it in this exact version on 5 other CD's and it usually fades nicer at 9:05. It's common on CD anyway. The space could have been better used with one of their tracks that have yet to appear on CD, such as the brilliant "Voulez Vous" or "Dancing Madly Backwards (Remix)".
04) Boys Town Gang-Cruisin' The Streets (13:08) - Full album version. This is so graphic I used to have to play this in headphones when I lived with my parents. This is why there is a "parental advisory - explicit lyrics" warning on the sleeve. Although the idea of my parents sitting on the sofa listening to "Cruising The Streets" to see whether it was suitable for me is an amusing thought. My original Dutch album says on the sleeve "may not be suitable for children or the prudish".
05) Ken Laszlo-Hey Hey Guy (7:35) - I'm pleased to see this original 12" mix here. Usually it is a remix on other CD's. Although personally I prefer the USA remix which is included on "I Love ZYX Italo Disco Collection 1"
06) Samantha Gilles-Let Me Feel It (7:31) - This was a massive hit in the clubs but mainly in the Disconet remix which was actually the 12" A-Side in the UK. However, that mix was made by a DJ service and has some vinyl clicks, so using the original makes more sense here.
07) Eria Fachin-Savin' Myself (6:51) - This track has such a familiarity to it that it sounds like a classic cover version, but it is actually an original song. On a different record label this could have been a hit.
08) Laura Branigan-Gloria (4:49) - This is a big disappointment. It is the standard album version. The U.S. 12" was a minute longer. There is still no sign of this on CD or the 12" mixes of "Solitaire", "Spanish Eddie" or the John Robie mix of "The Lucky One". Taking up disc space with a standard album mix is a waste of time in my opinion.
09) Oh Romeo-Saving Myself (For The One That I Love) (6:15) - This is a great track produced by the wonderful Bobby Orlando. Consequently everything by Oh Romeo is superb. This was on the Hot Productions Best Of Oh Romeo CD. What I really would like to have seen here is the track "Try It (I'm In Love With A Married Man)" from that album because it is ripped from vinyl on the Hot Productions CD and not available otherwise on CD.
10) Harlow-Take Off (Satisfaction Guaranteed) (10:17) - Similar to Boys Town Gang. This is a good track, but "Disco Discharge" were beaten to it by the release of "Grand 12-Inches 6" six months earlier.

The sound quality on this CD is brilliant. I'm super-picky because I have a huge collection of this type of music. That is why my comments are as they are, but for the price and the quality of music offered here I'd be very harsh to award anything less than 5 stars. I'd give 5 stars just to say a huge thank you for Rose Laurens "American Love" in decent quality at last.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]