4.0 out of 5 stars You can't put it down, it's just that good, 16 April 2013
This review is from: HTC One 32GB UK SIM-Free Smartphone - Silver (discontinued by manufacturer) (Wireless Phone)
I'll like to start off with a bit of context. I previously owned an iPhone 5 before moving to the HTC One and have, in the past, had a Galaxy S2.

Short Summary for those who don't want to read a wall of text:

The design is wonderful; it really resonates the word premium. The display is again wonderful and has brilliant outside light performance. The performance is lag free and is everything you would expect of a flagship phone of 2013. The camera earns the phone its 4 star. Overall, capable of producing some wonderful pictures, the low light sensitivity of this phone is fantastic, but in some cases photos can be lacking in detail and may contain noise. Advice: have a fiddle with the camera settings, because used right, you won't be left disappointed.

Design
-----------

This is probably one of the finest looking phones you can find on the market. I currently have the silver model without a case and everyone has commented on how wonderful it looks. The metal finish feels fantastic - quite similar to the backing of an iPad if you have ever felt that. The overall look of the phone with the thin bezel down the side just makes it stand out from the crowd. If you want to feel like you are holding a top end phone, then this will not disappoint you. Overall aesthetics may not be high on many peoples' priority list, but when a phone has the whole package but lacks in design, I feel you are always left with that little feeling that you just wished it would feel that little bit more premium. Weight wise the phone is fine - not too light and not too heavy.

Sound/Call Quality
----------

The speakers on this phone should be an industry standard - they are phenomenal. Some wonder if this whole Beats Audio thing is just a bit of an advertising kick to try and entice buyers, but on this phone solely, you get the best audio experience I have ever experienced on a phone. It's clear, it's loud and it sounds fantastic. Thankfully, this quality is transferred into the call quality. People can hear me loud and clear and I can hear them loud and clear.

Display
----------

1080p LCD3 screen with a stupidly high PPI. There's nothing much to say about this screen, except that it stunning. Everything is clear and crisp and colours are nice. Sure it may have the vibrancy that you would get from the AMOLED screens you find in the Galaxy range, but you're not really trading off. I personally am a fan of AMOLED screens, but I have no complaints about the screen.

Power/Performance
----------

Very similar performance to the Galaxy S4 UK version. Both use the same GPU (adreno 320) and both pack the same quadcore processor (Snapdragon 600). Despite the Galaxy S4 being clocked a little higher in both the graphics and processor departments, it all boils down to real world use. Plain and simply put, it is a smooth, fast, lag free experience. Internet loads quick, apps load quick, games play well. Really, what more could you ask for?

HTC Sense 5
----------

Blink feed is quite similar to Flipboard. It basically pulls it all the information that you want it to pull in. So for instance, on mine it pulls in my Facebook feed, my Twitter feed in addition to all the technology news etc. I find myself using this thing a lot. Overall, HTC Sense 5 is nice and simple. There's not a hundred different things all over the place. Everything you need is where you want it to be.

Camera
----------

So it's important here to remember we are talking Ultrapixel. What does that really translate in to you may ask? Well it's a 4 mp camera which some may think is lacking when you consider most phones coming out are packing 12 and even 13 mp. However, the trick behind what HTC did with the camera is enlarge the pixels so that they take in more light so theoretically resulting in a phone that can take pictures in low light and produce less noise. In reality, it's a different story - but not by much.

The low light performance of the phone is fantastic. You could be looking at a dark room, but the picture captures so much light you would question whether the room is dark in some occasions. I'd like to note here though that for the phone to take in that much light, you do get more noise in your picture, but this is not something that is exclusive to the HTC One. You'll find that most cameras be them phone or stand alone have the same problem and you really only start avoiding the problem when you start considering expensive stand alone cameras. So in relative terms, it's fantastic. I'd rather trade some noise to my picture for the ability to take pictures when I am out in a nightclub or out having a meal with someone on an evening and actually see the people I am taking a photo of in good quality. This is a notable area my iPhone 5 never excelled in.

In day light it is a bit hit and miss. It has the ability to capture some fantastic photos which I discovered myself when at a party. However, it doesn't always capture everything in the quality you would expect. I wouldn't really call this phone a point and shoot kind of experience. Sure, you can do that but if you really want to maximize the quality of your picture, have a fiddle with the settings and match it appropriately to the environment you are in. Though if this is something that worries you, HTC are working on future firmware upgrades to the camera so that it produces even better quality pictures. I'd say about 70-80% of the time, the auto settings produce a good quality photo, but sometimes you just have to do it manually. This is why the phone gets 4 stars.

Summary
----------

It's simply a great phone. I love it, I absolutely love it. I love what HTC has done with it. I was tossing this up with the Galaxy S4 and part of me thought, Samsung is such a big brand that isn't going anywhere soon so maybe I should stick with them because you have the reassurance behind you, but I went for the plunge and went for the One. I'm glad I took it, because right now I wouldn't trade it for an S4. Buy it, because I guarantee you will not be disappointed.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 6 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 23 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 17 Apr 2013 17:42:13 BDT
Enock says:
What about the battery? Is it removable?

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Apr 2013 17:45:44 BDT
Dannehkins says:
Hi enock,

Apologies for not including that in my review. No the battery is not removal however it should get you through a whole day use. Anything more than that and it'll need charging. If you intensively use the phone, you may find yourself needing a top up through the day possibly but it all depends on how you define intensive.

I typically use it to browse the internet, look at facebook, take pictures and play a few games and it can get me through a day without a problem.

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Apr 2013 17:59:58 BDT
Enock says:
Ok. Thanks a lot Dannehkins.

Posted on 8 May 2013 13:08:35 BDT
Snorbitz says:
Very nice review. Thanks.

Posted on 18 May 2013 16:17:50 BDT
HP says:
It may be an amazing phone, but if it never gets updates like the Nexus' what's the point. People will be running Android 5 in May and you will probably get it around December time IF YOU ARE LUCKY.

Posted on 27 May 2013 23:19:40 BDT
For me, maps are one of the things I use most on a smartphone. My previous htc was very weak when it came to gps. How does location positioning here compare to your old iPhone5?

In reply to an earlier post on 28 May 2013 00:33:41 BDT
Dannehkins says:
Hi strahil,

Thankfully I've had a good opportunity to use maps. On wifi, it locates you nice and quickly. I would say definitely on par with the iPhone 5.

Aside from that, I have used it to sat nav myself around and this was on the 3 network. It kept up with our position quickly and without any hiccups. Again, same experience as I got with my iPhone 5.

I have yet to encounter anything problematic with google maps on the One. Hope that helps.

In reply to an earlier post on 31 May 2013 20:12:35 BDT

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Jun 2013 13:04:18 BDT
Last edited by the author on 7 Jun 2013 13:05:39 BDT
Will says:
I can answer this one for actual navigation. Even without tweaking the gps conf file (which always seems to default to north america or asia) this phone got it's first gps lock in under 15 seconds. Very good. I even get a lock indoors which I didn't on my HTC One X. The only thing I can fault is that for some reason, Google Maps calls all 4 cores to run when navigating. Even with a charger plugged in and screen brighness down and background sync off, my battery still depletes. I can recommend Waze for free navigation that doesn't suck so much juice.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Jul 2013 09:02:56 BDT