5.0 out of 5 stars A Cautious 5-Star Review. Roxio Toast 11: A Critical Review, 18 July 2011
This review is from: Roxio Toast 11 Titanium (Mac) (DVD-ROM)
I've been using the new Roxio 11 for more than a month now. I only use two of the softwares, Toast and Spin Doctor for digitizing cassette tapes. The others, like in the past, won't be used.

The good news is using OSX10.6.8, Toast and Spin Doctor works without fail.

Toast advertises that it can copy "unprotected" dvd's without a problem. Unless I'm mistaken, I tested this on two (2) different commercial dvd's that I have.

On the documentary, "The F* Bomb, there are several interviews that was profound. (I got tired of the documentary about halfway through but in the deleted scenes section I was struck by some commentaries by ICE T and Tera Patrick. ) What was interesting was that the Toast allows you to see a thumbnail of the "video_TS" files. So, I was able to distinguish the ones I'd like to have. Extracting them was as simple as selecting them and placing them in the burn file.

This new Toast gives you the ability to burn or to convert that dvd-quality file into 720p, to mp4 to mov to iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch as well as a "Blackberry" and Android configurations and about 15 others. I converted those files in HD, for the iPhone, Blackberry and Android--both for the EVO and The EVO 3D. Each conversion appeared in full resolution on each of those screens.

Next, I pulled out a dvd of Turning Point 2007. I only bought it because it was the first meeting between Gail Kim and Awesome Kong (what an exciting match!) This dvd was one long file. In Toast, I opened the time line and set the parameters just for that match. Toast copied that match down to the second and gave me similar options for it's conversion. Toast converted that 17-minute match in about 5 minutes or so. And, it looks great on my monitor.

Spin Doctor--One of my aunts gave a speech on Father's Day at her place of worship and wanted me to make copies. I decided to make things a little difficult. I transferred the audio on to a cassette tape. Then, I hooked the tape deck into the laptop's audio in slot and engaged SD.

Roxio has done a tremendous job of creating a modern user interface. SD's beautiful black and silver trim box is a visual treat in minimalist design. The sidebar asks what source to record from and the header gives you a choice recording settings. There's also a retro L/R meters in the center. After you capture the recording, you can elect to see the visual wave form. This recording can be saved in a number of different audio format like Wave, AAC, Apple Lossless and mp3. (The one thing I remember from a few years ago is that longer length audio files in SD sometimes would not save, much less be editable.) The 45-minute audio was captured and saved without issue.

Pro's
+ Toast looks to be a lot more stable than previous versions.
+ Toast gives you multiple options for burning or converting.
+ Beautiful interface.
+ Still reasonable when considering it's still an all-in-one suite.

Con's
- The software is essentially good for only 2 years from the date the company releases it. (Roxio should adopt the same business idea VMWare Fusion adopted--encourage registered customers to upgrade by offering an obscenely low price to upgrade to the newest version.)
- The warranty period should be at least 1 year from date of purchase.

4.5 stars.