ARRAY(0xa8969c00)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great new resource for Chinese learners., 10 Dec 2013
This review is from: The Secret Garden (Mandarin Companion Graded Readers: Level 1, Simplified Chinese Edition) (Kindle Edition)
I couldn't actually remember what the secret garden story was at first which meant I really didn't know what was coming next. I think this helped a bit as I really wanted to know what happened next. I found the story engaging and enjoyable overall.

I have been studying Chinese on and off for a while now but I also live in China. I found the level of the book, compared to my proficiency level, to be a bit low. For me, some of the story telling was somewhat simple but the main points from the original story are all there. The main thing is that the simple sentences It didn't detract from enjoyment of the book as a whole. You also get a sense for each of the characters, who they are, how they change etc as the story goes on.

Actually I found it really nice just to read and understand something in Chinese for the entirety. I think this book would have been perfect as more of a study aid when I first started studying.

Compared to the Chinese Breeze level one books, I found The Secret Garden to be easier. The sentences in The Secret Garden have a good mix of longer and shorter ones. I also found the grammar structures used to be more simple when compared to Chinese Breeze.

However, I also found The Secret Garden a far more interesting story than most of the stories I've read in the Breeze series. I was a bit disappointed when It ended. I am not sure if this is because it's a western story or not. The problem I had with the three or four C.B books I've read is that the topics/stories just weren't that interesting for me.

Overall, if you are looking for a Chinese reader then I would definitely recommend this one. I think beginners could use it as a lighter way to study and those who have studied Chinese a bit longer could just enjoy the read!

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]