5.0 out of 5 stars My new shiny red Samsung R730 notebook, 26 Aug 2011
This review is from: Samsung R730 17.3-inch notebook PC (Intel Pentium Dual Core P6100, 2.13Ghz, 4GB RAM 500 GB HDD, WLAN, Webcam, Win 7 Home Premium) Red/Black (Personal Computers)
Absolutely delighted with this (so far). As it was being delivered internationally the VAT was deducted at source so this cost me a total, delivered, of a whopping 333 GBP - I don't think you can get better than that!
I did an Amazon search for a large screen size with some random specs and it came up with a choice of 3, one (Toshiba) had poor reviews and the other similar spec'd one was over 100 GBP dearer, I did some further research to see what was available elsewhere and returned to this, my first and origional choice.
Delivery here can be atrocious and you can randomly get stung with some nasty import charges, so I was chuffed to pieces when this arrived 10 days later with no additional charges.
Being a larger screen I was glad to see that it was no monster, with the additional bonuses of being lighterweight than my old one and not quite as red as as it looked in it's mug shot - I wasn't keen on red but bought this because of price and specifications, not the colour.
I had expected to dedicate my whole evening to getting the notebook up and running, however, I plugged it in, opened the lid and started it up, I had to make a few (semi-intelligent) decisions in answer to some questions and I was online within about 10 minutes.
The only downside so far it that the anticipated Windows Update downloads arrived but didn't install successfully - twice - and I ended up doing these with a manual download which took a while along with a couple of glasses of wine (the reason for buying this was that my old notebook consumed too much wine one night and never recovered fully.
I have unistalled the included McAfee virus software and downloaded a recommended free one plus I will need to figure out how to do a backup of all the software (I'm a bit blonde when it comes to things like that).
It has a shiny screen which will be wonderful if I ever find any spare time to watch movies and is great in darktime but not so good when I use it in a bright and sunny enviroment as there is too much reflection, and it is taking a little while to become accustomed to the larger keypad. Neither of these are major problems in my book.
All-in-all I am loving my new notebook :)

[Add comment]