4.0 out of 5 stars Christmassy and festive, 30 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Christmas at the Cupcake Café (Christmas Fiction) (Paperback)
This book has been waiting patiently to be read by me for some months, as I couldn't really face to read a book with a title "Christmas at the Cupcake Cafe" sometime in summer. But this time has arrived and I finally found a little time to squeeze it between books that I have for review.

It was really great to say hello to Issy, Pearl, Caroline and the whole Cupcake Cafe company again. Good to see that the Cafe stands firmly on its legs and is doing good and that now it is actually private lives of all the characters that make more troubles.
Austin is being head - hunted to New York and offered a job there, while Issy has her Cafe and Austin's brother, moody Darney to take care of. Pearl is again struggling to make the both end meets Caroline is still in the process of divorcing the bastard, Helena is under her daughter's thumb and all of them are going to learn their lessons: what is really most important in life.

Issy is again a warm and funny character, full of Christmas cheer and her recipes are just great. I am myself a big cupcakes and baking fan and I really plan to try some of the delicious food that she serves. The recipes are really a fantastic bonus. But back to Issy, she's so sweet and cute that one could eat her but there is a way in this sweetness: she's also likeable, normal and she put all others before her and I'd like to have her as a friend, really, and not only because she can fantastically bake and is the owner of one of the most wonderful cafes in the world. It's just an extra.
And while I really liked the story of Issy and Austin, I couldn't be more delighted to find much more Pearl and Caroline in the book, especially Caroline, she is ridiculous, I know, but nevertheless she is also funny in this coldness, actually she is soft like a lamb's fur under the mask of cold, hard - minded woman. Helena, the sparkly and direct wonderful and funny Helena, has turned into baby - bore and mozilla - mother and I must admit, I don't know how Issy could cope with her. I have a little baby of my own but really never have I bored my friends with stories about her developing. Only if they wanted.

I have read many books that take place in New York but I think none of them has made want to go there as much as this one. all is described in a soft, subtle way and I just long to go and see this all with my own eyes. There were not many descriptions of the city but those what we got was enough for me. So next to Portofino - New York, here I come.

The end doesn't belong to my favourite ones, it was too rushed to me, I have expected and hoped for another one but well, perhaps it is time for another Issy and Cupcake Cafe's adventure? It is a perfect sequel but can also be read as a stand - alone novel, so those of you who hasn't read "Meet me at the Cupcake Cafe" should not miss anything, although I must admit that it was much more enjoyable to be able to see how the characters are doing after reading the first book. In my opinion not every book deserves a sequel, as it is trendy lately, especially in writing short stories, but here I was really glad to see the memorable characters.

Altogether, it was a warm, enjoyable Christmas read. It's comforting and it leaves you hungry and wanting a cupcake immediately. It has left me in a festive spirit. It's infused with humour and actually has all that chick - lit fans expect.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]