5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely informative book on the importance of magnesium, 14 Jun 2010
This review is from: The Magnesium Miracle (Paperback)
This is a well-written, easily read and IMPORTANT book, magnesium being the most essential supplement needed.

In this comprehensive treatment of the various ailments/diseases caused by lack of this mineral, the author includes chapters on depression, migraines. strokes, hypertension, PMS, diabetes, chronic fatigue syndrome, etc. etc. In fact the author lists 68 common complaints caused by lack of magnesium and cites various medications also causing such lack. Magnesium regulates more than 325 enzymes in the body and since nowadays our farmlands are mineral-depleted, we cannot obtain enough magnesium even from an optimal diet rich in organic vegetables without supplementation.

We are provided with a wealth of facts about the mineral, for example, that fluoridated water banishes magnesium, that stomach acid is essential for magnesium absorption and that magnesium is blocked by certain foods, such as raw spinach. Also magnesium is required for adequate blood sugar control (can't remember reading that in any of the many diabetes books I've read and reviewed!), and treatment of stress.

In fact, this book is an absolute mine of essential little-known information about magnesium that can contribute to optimizing our health, should we choose to implement this knowledge. Not only can this simple mineral cure us of many serious complaints, but we can thereby avoid having to take the harmful drugs our doctors might otherwise persuade us were necessary to poison our systems with.

The best forms of magnesium in the author's opinion are magnesium taurate, magnesium glycinate, magnesium citrate, magnesium malate, magnesium orotate and magnesium oil. Your magnesium supplements should preferably be taken between meals since absorption requires stomach acid, and if magnesium is taken together with meals, the stomach acid will be busy digesting the meal, and this may impair magnesium absorption. Kelp is the foodstuff containing the highest amount of magnesium (760 mg per 100 g).

Moreover, Carolyn Dean endears herself to me since unlike many health authors I complain about in my reviews, she is well aware of the dangers of aspartame and statins and warns us against their use.

I have personally long been aware of the importance of magnesium, since if I don't take magnesium supplements, I suffer from psychomotor seizures characterized by 1) hearing of loud bangs or clicks that no-one else hears 2) experiencing my head being lit up inside perhaps together with a bang 3) seeing "fire" coming out of a wall. These symptoms can be accompanied by jerking of the legs and generally occur in the stage preceding sleep. Also I have had a period with acute and constant pains in the head. All these symptoms disappeared immediately on magnesium supplementation with two strong pills a day, and do not recur as long as I continue to take these pills. However, when I attempted also to supplement with calcium, the pains recurred, so I had to stop taking calcium supplements. These two minerals work together, and I assume I was getting too much calcium in relation to magnesium in my diet. Without magnesium I also suffer from leg cramps or tics.

The only thing I lacked in this book was a more comprehensive treatment of the importance of magnesium supplementation for sufferers of epilepsy (as mentioned above), there being only a small paragraph on this topic.

To sum up, I would strongly advise everyone to read this essential book.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 2 Mar 2011 17:42:11 GMT
twistedhippy says:
Thanks for the V. good review Interesting to hear about your personal sitiuation and I too am taking a magnesium complex with nearly all the types of magnesium listed (except orotate) for my depression.Have had no results as yet but its early days.
I also find Lithium in the form of orotate very good.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Mar 2011 19:18:49 GMT
You're welcome. I've read that supplementation with a good oil mixture like Udo's choice, with an optimal (correct) ratio of omega 3, 6 and 9, or eating fatty fish several times a week in addition to sufficient exercise (long walks) should also be really effective against depression. Sorry if you know all this already.

Posted on 29 Mar 2013 03:44:23 GMT
Woodhillian says:
I think Dr Richard Bernstein in his book, recommends magnesium orotate supplements for diabetes control.

Posted on 10 Dec 2013 12:20:02 GMT
Nyo says:
I suffer from the same kind of seizure as you do. I am definitely going to be looking carefully into this now! Thank you so much!

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Dec 2013 17:05:39 GMT
You're welcome! You're the first person I've encountered who suffers from these psycho-motor attacks as I did. Am sure the magnesium will help you. It's a great book.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.6 out of 5 stars (52 customer reviews)

9.44 9.41