5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful and captivating story, 28 Aug 2012
This review is from: The Light Behind The Window (Paperback)
I was very much looking forward to reading this story, and what a wonderful story it was!!!

The book opens in 1999, with Emilie at her mother's bedside as she passes away, with Emilie on the brink of inheriting the family estate and fortune. Overwhelmed by all the new decisions Emilie had to make, she runs into Sebastian, a man who has links to the family Château as he says his grandmother, Constance, stayed there during the conflict. As Emilie begins to sort out the family affairs, she begins to unlock the family's deepest secrets and delve into the past. Running alongside this part of the book, we also meet Constance in 1943, a young woman whose husband is missing in action. Constance is selected for the Special Operations Executive, and quickly sent off to France.

Lucinda Riley has written a truly captivating tale of love and war. From the moment I picked the story up I became enthralled with it, I simply could not put the book down again. I was spending every chance with my head buried in the pages, keen to find out where the journey would take me next.

Lucinda is a very talented author, she effortlessly moves back and forth between the past and the present, cleverly weaving the two times together and creating binding links that ensures the past plays a vital role in shaping the present. I loved every page of the book and was quite sad to finish the story, I must say I feel I gained a lot more knowledge from reading the book, as well as really enjoying the story for what it was.

The characters in The Light Behind The Window are exceptional, I became very emotionally involved with them, especially Emilie and Constance. I thought that they were such fantastically written characters. Constance in particular showed such courage and strength in the story and it touched my heart, I really enjoyed reading her part of the story and her journey was a very emotional one. Lucinda Riley has not only created two outstanding main characters, but has excelled in her supporting cast, Sebastian and Alex really stood out for me in that category, not forgetting Sophia as well.

I was completely taken in by the story, I loved the story and will be passing it onto my Nan so she can read it (When it arrived in the post she was instantly eyeing it up!). I will definitely be talking and spreading the word about Lucinda's new novel.

The Light Behind The Window takes the reader on an emotional and powerful journey. It is a moving story that had me gripped throughout, and the tale stayed with me long after I had finished reading it. Truly beautiful and captivating.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]