4.0 out of 5 stars Very good generally - could be better for landscapes., 24 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Sony DSCRX100 Advanced Digital Compact Premium Camera with Large 1-inch Sensor and Bright High Quality Lens (Camera)
Undoubtedly this is a great camera. And I'm not going to go crazy talking about the features and technicalities - there's lots of people done an outstanding job of that already.

I just wanted to make a note about using this camera for landscape photography. If you're going to be out on the hills, in the middle of nowhere taking lots of cracking vistas in wide open spaces then this camera may not be the best choice.

It's not particularly wide-angled (perhaps not possible to do with such a fast lens on a compact) and doesn't have a particularly powerful zoom (again, swings and roundabouts).

Also it seems to battle with exposing clouds correctly when contrasted against land. Clouds and mountains seem to lose a bit of their texture. The shot loses its grandeur. You might think that most compacts in auto-mode would struggle with this. Not so actually.

The other thing it lacks is a mode for facilitating the stitching of photos (where it holds the exposure and focus across shots and gives you a little marker on the screen for the next shot). Yes, I know you can do this by fiddling the settings to make the centre button hold the exposure across multiple shots and then using the camera in Program mode . But it takes some fiddling and is not the same (for example it refocuses). Where a native mode for doing this would make life much easier. Yes, it does do sweep panorama's. But that doesn't allow a small number of shots - you have to take a pretty wide sweep. It's a shame this stitching facility is missing as it would make up for the fact that it's not particularly wide-angled camera.

Another thing is that if I use the auto function and the exposure it automatically chooses is (surprisingly) a bit slow. If it's windy, your pics come up a bit blurry. So the auto function is generally very poor for this. So you have to spend time trial-and-erroring the manual settings trying to get the shot. Or taking the same shot several times. hoping the camera eventually gets it right. However you get round this, it's not always convenient if you're on a massive hike and have a lot of distance to cover, not an awful lot of time to take the shot and windy conditions. I've lost a lot of good shots because of this issue.

I bought this camera to replace my Lumix TZ-7. I'm not saying my TZ-7 is better. Far from it. The TZ-7 is poor in bad light (particularly indoors). Th RX100 excels at that low-light indoors.

However for outdoor landscapes in wide open spaces, with masses of good light, I get consistently better results from my TZ-7. And I still think that my TZ-7 is the best camera I've had for that purpose, particularly given that you stitch 2 or 3 shots together when you get home. For all the hikes I've been on with this camera in the hopes of getting it right with practise with the camera, the results haven't been as good. Now, I regret having taken this camera as I've missed out on some cracking results I would have got with my TZ-7.

Don't get me wrong, in most respects, this is a great camera and most of the time, you'll love it. Particularly in low-light and indoors. The fast lens and functionality (particularly the HDR-style noise reduction) make this camera a winner in this regard. However, if you're primarily a landscape photographer, you could be a bit disappointed (specially if you go by all the rave reviews about this camera). If I'm going walking in the windy hills with lots of natural light, I leave this one on the shelf and take my TZ-7. Otherwise, if I'm with friends and family or having a night out, this camera stays in my pocket.

I don't mean to be down on this camera not at all - that's not my point in writing this review. You won't be disappointed with this camera. Unless you're big into landscapes in which case you might. That's simply what I'm saying.

I hope this helps somebody.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 11 Apr 2013 10:59:14 BDT
johnaerial says:
I completely agree about the TZ-7. I have the TZ-10 and if I am out and about on holiday, I will take that in preference over my DSLR. Its landscapes are wide clear and sharp.

Posted on 19 Apr 2013 09:59:27 BDT
Androo says:
I think a bit more practice will change your mind. Shoot in RAW, and at f/8, and for landscapes it blows my old TZ7 into the middle of next week. The RX100 produces flawless landscapes, but you have to know how to get the exposure, and do a bit of post processing to get truly impressive results. The extra dynamic range, and the complete lack of artifacts in the RX100's RAW output are in stark contrast to the superficially attractive TZ7 shots.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›