4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic projector, 22 Nov 2012
This review is from: Epson MG-850HD Home Cinema Projector with In-built iPod Docking Station (HD-Ready 720p, 2800 Lumens, 3LCD Technology) (Electronics)
I've lived with this projector now for around 8 months. It's, overall, a fantastic piece of kit; of course it's my first projector so I do not have any basis for comparison.
It took me 3 months to finally choose this particular model. My decision was based on price, positioning within my living room and technology. Here's a quick break down:

Positioning:
I knew my projector would be slightly to the left of my screen and as such I required the dreaded horizontal keystone correction, at least for the time being. My projector screen is around 7 feet away from the projector and at this distance and angle the projected image is about 70inches on the money. The horizontal keystone correctiona works nicely although there is some distortion with the image when using this feature. the far edge of the image becomes more blurry, but only really noticeable when plugging in the laptop - I completely forget about it when watching a film.

Technology:
LCD, although more expensive, does cut out the infamous "Rainbow" affect you can get with DLP projectors. I felt this was important as I'm susceptible to headaches and motion sickness which, I'm told, can sometimes come hand in hand with the Rainbow effect.

Full HD?
Unfortunately budget only allowed for a HD Ready LCD which at the time I thought was fine, but I must admit I do have a twinge of regret when watching HD content, knowing it's not going to be quite as crisp as it could be... Overall though the picture quality is very good.

Noise:
It does kick out a fair amount of noise and heat, this thing. The fan is placed on the right hand side of the projector (worth knowing if your intending to position it on your left - you may end up getting a face-full of hot air. The Fan increases in speed, noise and heat the brighter you set the image; in ECO mode it's *fairly* quiet. Luckily with the surround sound system blaring, the fan noise is drowned out quite effectively.

Options:
Lots of options on the menus: picture quality/brightness/contrast etc. all adjustable, plus default modes for 'cinema', 'home' etc. Plenty to tinker with to get the right picture quality.

Brightness:
Watchable with the lights on, but obviously better with the lights off or just one lamp on when it's dark out. During the day you still get a pretty good picture - I don't have to close the curtains, but do usually have to take it out of ECO mode and increase brightness/contrast so I can see the darker scenes in films.

Overall:
A really good projector, very happy with it for a first purchase, but have to knock a star off for a bit of noisy fan and blurriness under horizontal keystone (not sure if that's standard across all projectors though)

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]