1.0 out of 5 stars Unsubstantiated Nonsense - Vegetarians Beware, 14 July 2008
This review is from: Gut and Psychology Syndrome: Natural Treatment for Autism,ADD/ADHD,Dyslexia,Dyspraxia,Depression,Schizophrenia (Paperback)
This was bought for a friend who seems to have fallen for the raft of books decrying any use for modern medicine, yet failing to make much sense about the potential of alternatives (traditional medicines are ignored in favour of whatever new, usually unsubstantiated ideas, guarantee to get a new batch of gullible readers) except observations that the authors seem to have made in their own clinics.

In the case of Campbell-McBride, page 110 gives an excellent example of this, with reference to vegetarianism. Note that none of these statements are referenced - they are *opinion* :

"3. According to census data vegetarians die younger than people who eat meat.

"From my clinical observations I have yet to meet a healthy vegetarian."

None of this information, as I say, is substantiated in any way - and actually runs contrary to virtually all clinical observation that has been peer-reviewed and placed in the public realm. Let that be a warning to those who are basing their lives on the author's ideas.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 25 Nov 2008 20:53:07 GMT
Ak Maccallum says:
I totally agree and wished I had not wasted my money on such a biased and misinformed book.

Posted on 28 May 2009 11:47:30 BDT
D. Boskma says:
I actually agree with Dr. Campbell on that topic, as I haven't met one either. And I know plenty, some of my friends are, though they are wonderful people they are not healthy and I personally find it wrong to raise children that way. They need B12 etc. to reach their full potential.
I myself have been a vegan and vegetarian and was very unhealthy, I needed to do the GAPS diet to become healthy again. nuf said.

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Oct 2009 14:36:38 BDT
K. Farnish says:
You clearly haven't met enough Veg*ns then. I have been vegetarian for about 12 years and am in the condition of my life; I have vegan friends who *do* take B12 supplements - nothing particularly wrong with that, they use far fewer conventional drugs than most of the other people I know - and are even fitter than me.

What I would love to see is a proper scientific, epidemiological analysis of the relative health of people following different diets under controlled conditions: but you certainly won't see that in "Dr" Campbell-McBride's book - the results would completely blow her theories out of the water.

I repeat, she states:

"1. Vegetarian children are more prone to health problems than children who eat meat, particularly to psychomotor impairment. (EVIDENCE?)

"2. Vegetarians are prone to muscle loss and bone damage. They, on average, have lower muscle strength. (EVIDENCE?)

"3. According to census data [as opposed to a peer-reviewed study] vegetarians die younger than people who eat meat. (EVIDENCE?)

"From my clinical observations I have yet to meet a healthy vegetarian. (HA! HA! HA!)"

Posted on 18 Oct 2009 16:00:52 BDT
I have not read the book but I can see where Dr Campbell-Mc Bride is coming from.

I believe it was the 1920s when Dr Edward Bach, then a bacteriologist, noted a parellel between the condition of the intenstinal flora of individuals and of their general state of health and wellbeing. Sadly, his work is ignored by what has come to be referred to as conventional medicine.

Over the same period, we have seen the development and then exponential growth of antibiotics with their deleterious effects on the flora of the gut, whilst the modern western diet becomes increasingly denuded of the foods that might help redress the situation. The research on the bowel flora of autistics was long done before Dr Campbell-McBride's book.

Sadly, conventional medicine has chosen to ignore it because of the billions- yes billions that are at stake over the whole issue of the safety of vaccines. You may choose to dismiss this book as unsubstantiated rubbish, but it deserves a wide audience because when a child does become vaccine damaged, the medical powers that be merely claim that it had nothing to do with vaccination. Parents quickly learn that they are on their own, but it is the work of such as Campbell-McBride that demonstrates that things can be done to help redress the situation. I did have a wry laugh at the comments on vegetarianism though. A confirmed vegetarian for over forty years, I know that a vegetarian diet can be a healthy choice. Even pioneers cannot be expected to get everything right!

Posted on 17 Mar 2010 16:30:30 GMT
Last edited by the author on 17 Mar 2010 16:43:39 GMT
DD says:
See - www.second-opinions.co.uk/should-all-animals-eat-a-high-fat-low-carb-diet.html , "Natural Health and Weight Loss" and "Trick and Treat" both by Barry Groves.

We wouldn't have evolved into what we are today if we did not eat other animals. We lack the ability to produce what are known as the essential fatty acids. We would have got these from animal fats.

Herbivores can produce short chain fatty acids from the cellulose in vegetables. Humans cannot digest cellulose.

A vegetarian need not be unhealthy, but veganism is, in my view, madness.

Posted on 13 Dec 2010 20:39:53 GMT
cognis says:
K Farnish's assessment of the book appears to be based solely on the content of page 110 ignoring the remaining 265 pages, presumably because the statements therein offends his/her vegetarian sensibilities!

Perhaps K Farnish has not actually read Dr Cambell-McBride's valuable book as the initial paragraph seems wholly inappropriate; autistic and other "GAPS" children are ignored by modern medicine and clearly Dr Cambell-McBride has researched the subject exhaustively. I certainly suspect that K Farnish is not the parent of a GAPS child (to whom this book is addressed).

But K Farnish should have read to the end of page 110 as the author clearly respects vegetarian's beliefs but advises that these are not imposed on their children who exhibit GAPS ~ I take it that K Farnish is not suggesting that vegetarian children are free of autism and other GAPS learning and behavioural problems?!

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Jun 2011 20:34:23 BDT
Maybe what you think is healthy COMPARED to your previous condition is making you feel attacked by the theories of this book, and maybe your body indeed does not have the ability to process meats.

Or maybe you haven't tried to be on GAPS for a couple of years, and what you consider healthy right now would pale compared with the way you would feel.

In either case, it seems you disqualify based on your personal dislike of her theories, without offering your own. A comfortable but irresponsible position, in my mind.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Mar 2012 20:42:13 GMT
Last edited by the author on 19 Mar 2012 20:44:21 GMT
Bert says:
Re: DD: Humans posses gut bacteria which breakdown cellulose into SCFAs which then supply the gut cells with energy.
Re: General is vegetarianism 'right'?
I felt compelled to input on this topic ... I have been a veggie since age 8. Due to being influenced by the strong marketing of animal rights 'charities' (corporations) and now at age 31 have finally begun to eat red meat and oily fish, after studying dietetics at university, I realised that there are several nutrients in these products which are essential to human health. For example, menaquinone.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Sep 2014 18:41:46 BDT
Fermented soy products (Natto) contain this.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›