1 of 1 people found the following review helpful
a fun but short game,
This review is from: The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (XBox) (Video Game)
I've always assued a game that is heavily advertised on tv and used the original actors voices to incorporate into it would always be a full game of at least 4 stars. Unfortunately i was wrong.
Firstly, i'd like to say that i had a lot of fun at times playing this game. The good points are:
- its excellent stress relieving game on certain levels as it is literally kill orc ass and there are infinite enemies. I have to say the final helms deep level is awesome and is very much like the film.
- outstanding graphics, in the words of elijah wood "its just beautiful to look at"
- The best thing about this game is the incorporation of the films, you watch pieces of the original films, then they blend into animations, which are also excellent quality, then play in the animated graphics, once the level is finished you see the game graphics blend back the original film, done very well especially the hand sauron reaching for isildor at the beginning after the training level.
- bonus features of the films that released upon completetion of certain levels was fun.
-the fighting although not very complicated was cool to perform and to watch.
Bad points are:
- such a linear game, there is no space to explore, you are limited to the set path of the game with no choice of ways to complete levels,
- certain bosses have particular strategies to kill them when your character has the skill to blatently kick their ass in a simple sword fight, Against the head uruk kai and also the head wolf rider its set out how you defeat them, you can't simply go up to them with your sword and take them on as the characters do in the films.
- most levels were about protecting something and so you were always rushed which becomes less of a pleasure and more of a chore. Especially the level on the wall at helms deep where it was constantly running back and forth kicking down ladders, so tedious.
- the levels were all identical for each character, it would have been so much better to have each character playing their own part to the whole story and to play out all three and see how they fit around each other.
- camera angles kept shifting and often you could not see what was directly infront of you as you were running in a certain direction, very annoying and almost made me give it all up.
- a lot of levels are simply the same thing throughout the whole level and there is no diversity, the wall at helms deep and protecting the door at helms deep by yourself while enemies come across the water.
- Most annoying was the lack of multiplayer on xbox, whats up witht that? this game would get 4 stars as co-operative play would be so much fun but no, i don't get it, why not?
this game did not live up to my expectations, i would not recommend it to an experienced gamer, maybe quite a fun game and is good to try and play the films however was potential here for such a better game.