3.0 out of 5 stars Too soon for a review? Not really, 4 April 2013
This review is from: Samsung SMART NX300 Compact System Camera with 20-50mm Lens - Black (20.3 MP, CMOS Sensor) 3.3 inch Amoled (Electronics)
I want to do nothing but sing this cameras praises. I really do. I love the NX1000, despite some issues, and want to love this one just as much, but it's kind of hard right now.

I'll start with the problems:
First camera had an issue where the captured image would go all garbled - example at [...]

The replacement camera feels a bit sluggish in comparison to the first, having to sometimes tap the touch screen multiple times to get a response.

Another way it feels sluggish, is on the first camera, using the instant touch AF, I could pretty much instantly take another photo once the review image had gone. Now on the new one I am having to wait until the processing has finished before I can take another. This adds about a couple of seconds. This may not sound like much, but it has made what was a really useful feature to me a bit useless.

The next problem is not really anything to do with a faulty camera - Video!

NX1000 (and I assume NX20/200/210) had a video mode dial. In there you got a proper 16:9 view of what will be captured, and FULL control over settings.

On the NX300, there is no video mode dial, so you have no way of getting a 16:9 preview until you hit record!

At first you may think you get full manual control over video, as in each respective PASM mode, you will get control over aperture, shutter, etc, but you WILL NOT get control over ISO - it's auto and that's that!

There are ways they could address those two issues, but one can't buy a camera on the hopes that they will, and I am posting this as a warning to those it would bother.

Focus still struggles a bit in dimmer light.

Focus still has a tendency to "pump" in video mode, though this seems less of a problem with the 18-200mm zoom.

Are there positives?

I will take the positives from the first camera, despite it's frequent screen/capture corruption issue:

Image quality is fantastic. They really have improved the sensor noticeably.

Focus is fast and accurate. Though this can depend on lens as well (Why do we only get the 20-50mm option here in uk???)

MUCH improved ISO usability - dodgy ground going over 3200 on NX1000, while on NX300, ISO 6400 still very good, and 12800 still surprisingly good as last resort.

Handling - it's a bit bulkier than the NX1000, and makes it much easier to hold, and the video record button is better placed to prevent accidental pressing.

Feels better balanced with some of the bulkier lenses - 60mm macro and 18-200mm zoom.

Video is better overall, despite those issues above, and you now get half speed slow mo at 1080p (if you set frame rate to 25 fps).

At this point, I am unsure as to whether I will keep the replacement, or send back as faulty as well. And then do I get a replacement or refund? I have now invested in several lenses for the system, costing a ton... so I will likely try yet another camera.

Maybe the sluggishness is all in my head, but am positive the first camera was far more responsive. The touch screen is definitely less responsive...

So, if you get a camera without problems, and are not too worried about those annoying video decisions of Samsung, then you will likely be over the moon with this camera.

I am now partly sorry that I did not just go with NX20, despite the nice improvements in general speed and image quality.

I may re-rate this review at some point, but for now, it's 3 stars are very deserved (in my case)

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 25 Apr 2013 00:36:33 BDT
I have been thinking of getting this camera and I'm dismayed by your comment's here. Have you checked to see if there is a firmware update? I've not heard anything like this on the Internet. PE

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Apr 2013 09:11:12 BDT
C. Rabe says:
Hi there

There is a new firmware update available - unfortunately, it only came out on my last day of holiday :(

Anyway, this firmware does seem to have addressed a large number of problems.

I can verify that there is now ISO control in video (though only in full manual mode, and not in shutter/aperture priority, nor program ae), and from the short bit of time I used the camera with updated firmware, focus seems improved, though too early to say for certain.

It also looks like they may have addressed the issue where OIS would not engage sometimes, especially on the 60mm macro.

According to the firmware info, there are a huge number of updates, but I can not verify all of them right now.

For the most part, the camera was up to the task on my holidays, but I did have many issues with focus, especially with the 18-200mm zoom, where it seemed to frequently focus just behind where it should. This means I had to rely on manual focus A LOT, so thank goodness for the focus peaking!

I still don't know what they are going to do about showing a 16:9 preview for framing video recording...

All that said, I am not yet ready to increase my rating, but if they keep at improving things like they are, then my rating will likely go up soon on the camera. Maybe even once I have had time to play with the camera this weekend.

Anyway, some samples taken from can be viewed here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/14067357@N04/sets/72157633316638447/

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Jul 2013 16:01:46 BDT
hi just got this camera and downloaded the firmware but am struggling with the firmware for the kit lens any help gladly recieved

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Jul 2013 16:41:33 BDT
C. Rabe says:
hi

You will not need to update the lens firmware. The firmware included in the updates is for the older version of the 20-50mm, and you will have the newer version with your NX300.

Happy photographing :)

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Jul 2013 20:00:56 BDT
Thank you very much for that so far looks like an amazing camera
‹ Previous 1 Next ›