5.0 out of 5 stars Can't wait for 3rd book, 8 Aug 2009
This review is from: The Silver Eagle (The Forgotten Legion Chronicles) (Hardcover)
I qualify my review by saying I haven't read Iggulden, Scarrow et al, so I came to this series with no benchmark in the genre. The closest my usual interest gets is in reading military history, where my bias lies in accounts of the experiences of the foot soldiers, and that aspect is what drew me in to this excellent series.
Where the Forgotten Legion introduces the characters and plot, from the sweat and dust of the arena to the intrigues of the brothel - the Silver Eagle picks up where the action left off and brings it to another level. The action is relentless and it's scope is epic, blending the wars and politics of the Republic to adventures at the edges of the known world. The characters develop well as the twins mature and become more world-wise and Tarquinius is more dark and ambiguous. This book has been greatly enhanced by the addition of a very informative glossary.
The bottom line for me is that I'm hooked and can't wait to find out what happens next - the mark of a great book.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 9 Aug 2009 11:10:28 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 14 Sep 2010 11:20:11 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Aug 2009 12:38:38 BDT
cholser says:
I didn't realise I would have to justify myself to the self styled 'review police' on posting my first book review on Amazon.... but here goes. As a new reviewer with a bit of time on my hands, and an inclination to post some reviews on the books I am reading at the moment, I decided to review my most recent read, 'the Silver Eagle'. FYI I finished 'Breath' over the weekend and have posted on that also. I am now reading 'One soldier's war in Chechnya' and it is such a powerful read I think I will review that too. I will continue to review when I have time and a book grabs my attention - its not award winning stuff, I realise, but I enjoy it anyway.
So get back in your box, as I sincerely hope you have better things to be doing - if not, get a life.

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Aug 2009 14:47:02 BDT
Well done sir. Nice review and I am glad that you enjoyed the book, sadly I dodn't but that's what opinion is for. Key thing is that I enjoyed your review better than I did the book - excellent. Keep it up and keep on producing the reviews, they after all sway people on whether to purchase or not and yours tempers mine nicely.

Posted on 8 Sep 2010 16:19:02 BDT
Je Salter says:
Nice review CG Harney. I've got all three books and intend to read them when I've got the time. Shame burks like M Mewell have to make stupid remarks!

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Jan 2011 17:01:47 GMT
Last edited by the author on 8 Jan 2011 17:34:21 GMT
Ben Kane says:
Hmmm. His name's not Mark either, Je Salter. It's Simon. At least that's what his profile said until he deleted that important little detail a few months ago. Then, at the same time he deleted the above comment, he also removed more than 20 of his reviews - nearly all of which were of historical fiction novels. Funnily, they generally slated every author except one, who shall of course remain nameless.

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Feb 2011 16:01:34 GMT
Je Salter says:
It's a great read. I don't know what Mark Mewell (or whatever his/her name is) and care even less. Cretinous comments are just that, sad individual. Nobody should have to feel that they have to justify their review. Books are to be enjoyed, cretins are not!

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Jan 2012 21:06:04 GMT
M. Day says:
Seems like you got it spot on as it would appear he's a fake. Keep reviewing, and say it as you feel, I enjoyed your review.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.1 out of 5 stars (97 customer reviews)

Used & New from: 0.01