5.0 out of 5 stars Twilights Last Gleaming?, 24 Oct 2012
This review is from: Genesis Revisited II (MP3 Download)
I count my self lucky to have seen Genesis when Steve Hackett was still with them. Like many who saw them in the early seventies the early music is the material I like best and will always have a special place in my heart. Thats not to say that some of the latter songs where not without merit but that was a different animal.

Its almost pointless reviewing the songs one by one here as most will know them and have their favourites.

My favourite song isn't here though "Cinema Show" but I will let that pass as we have got "Can Utility and the Coast Liners" and "Dancing with the Moonlight Knight" as well as sections from the often overlooked "Wind and Wuthering."

This reworking of old favourites is superbly executed and has a clean brighter sound in places. My only real gripe as others have mentioned is that some of the vocalists don't "gel" very well, particularly on "Ripples." Its not that it is bad its just that the vocals are a long way from what you expect. It could grow.

So, why have I given it five stars then. Its a valiant effort and who am I really to criticise the magnificent music of such a wonderful guitarist. Not forgetting such magnificent musicians that played on the original and here on the remake. Truly "Twilights Last Gleaming.' As Phil Collins sang on "Driving the Last Spike," we will never see the likes of them again.

To the odd younger person that may stroll in here by chance I would say buy this if you want a master class in melodic, powerful and emotive prog rock. These guys never went in one direction they where omnipresent!

I will say this though, the reworking of a Tower Struck Down is almost "King Crimson" and if my memory serves me right not actually a Genesis track. Neither is Shadow of the Hierophant but lets not let a few facts get in the way of a good album.

If I can I will be there to see this live next year. Thanks Steve for such a great album.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-1 of 1 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 24 Nov 2012 10:14:55 GMT
Pantagruel says:
A fine review. I also miss "Cinema Show" but agree that "Can Utility..." makes up for that. One of my favorite Genesis songs apart from "The Lamb..." total and "Supperīs Ready". And the lead man of my favorite progressive band today, Porcupine Tree, Steve Wilson sings "Can Utility..." and adds his guitar skills on "Shadow of the Hierophant". But I disagree with you about Ripples. I think Amanda Lehmann gives that song something very special and magnificent.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.3 out of 5 stars (118 customer reviews)

Ģ5.99