5.0 out of 5 stars A most inteligent Man, 3 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Light of the World: The Pope, the Church, and the Signs of the Times (Hardcover)
I start by saying that like any other Catholic, I adored Pope John Paul II, and was a bit dismayed when Pope Benedict XVI was elected... as time went by, I started do admire his culture and intelligence, and I found that, John Paul II we went to see Him, while Benedict we go to hear Him. This book, an interview, is a marvelous account of the how fundamental this Pope will be in the history of the Church. He may not yet be the Star the we would like Him to be, but He really cares for His flock,as I had the opportunity to see for myself when I attended His Angelus in Rome on January 1st, and His mass in Oporto in May the 14th! A Catholic or not, a must read book, that will surprise most of the readers, who will find a Pope with a deep knowledge of the world of today, in ALL its areas, be it religious, economical, environemental, social, technical, sexual, moral... He justifies consistently every view of the Church in all these areas, leaves no doubt about His view and total disapproval of the sexual crimes of the clergy, shows an amazing understanding of this ever changing world, and an amazing will to connect (not convert!) with other religions... for those who thought this to be an inflexible man, previously head of what was centuries ago the Holy Inquisition, it will be a changing experience, and an easy book to read... which is not the norm. His Holiness's books (for example Jesus of Nazareth) are of very dificult reading... this is not the case.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 11 Feb 2011 08:39:49 GMT
JamSandwich says:
I'm not a Roman Catholic but after reading your review I gave this a go so thanks for that. I genuinely like this Pope. He's a fighter and highly intelligent with it. He represents a major challenge to skepticism that our Archbishop of Canterbury just doesn't seem capable of. I think, after reading this, The Pope is a real defender of faith.

Thanks.

Posted on 3 May 2011 09:32:44 BDT
Last edited by the author on 3 May 2011 09:33:07 BDT
Paul says:
Thanks for the review. Just one minor point - I am surprised you found "Jesus of Nazareth" difficult reading. I'm no scholar or theologian and I was surprised by its clarity - although I accept you have to know Christian terminology.

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Feb 2013 14:40:22 GMT
JamSandwich:
"The Pope is a real defender of faith."

Yeah, but which faith?

Posted on 9 Feb 2013 14:44:53 GMT
"I adored Pope John Paul II"

Aren't you supposed to worship God (commandments 1&2)? Even Peter and Paul did did not want to be worshiped because they knew they were men! And where is our Lady of Fatima when you need her?

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Feb 2013 15:05:30 GMT
JamSandwich says:
Have you ever heard the saying "Is the Pope Catholic?" It's used the imply the obvious. Have a little think and try to work out which faith The Pope is the defender of... :)

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Feb 2013 16:53:04 GMT
Last edited by the author on 9 Feb 2013 16:54:13 GMT
JamSandwich:

Yes, but he always goes on about "Christianity". And he always mentions the Bible. Unfortunately, much of Catholicism simply insn't in the Bible. See my point... an even bigger :) Which faith is he defending?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›