4.0 out of 5 stars The last reader you'll buy... for a couple of years!, 22 Nov 2012
This review is from: Kindle Paperwhite, 6" High Resolution Display with Built-in Light, Wi-Fi [Previous Generation] (Electronics)
So, their headline for this new Kindle is that 'it's the Kindle they always wanted to make', and to be honest, it's pretty much the eBook reader I've always wanted to buy!

I am a seasoned eBook reader/owner, having had the very first commercially available Sony Reader (the PRS-500), then an imported Sony Touchscreen Reader with built in light - the PRS-705 (yes... this tech HAS been done before; and I had it over 4 years ago!).

I 'downgraded' to a PRS-600 Touch, and then moved in to the Amazon ecosphere by getting Kindle Keyboard 3G, switched allegiance to Apple for a while using iBooks on the iPad, then got a Kindle 4th Gen, then a Kindle Touch - but I've never yet found 'exactly' what I was looking for in an eReader.

The Kindle Paperwhite is probably very nearly 'it'. From my perspective it has married together all the things I've enjoyed from all the readers I've owned, and I think may well be the first reader I get a full couple of years use out of.

I think Amazon are a bit arrogant calling it the 'paperwhite' - let's be honest, the screen is a minor upgrade on the Kindle Touch with some LEDs cleverly positioned inside the unit to light the screen. Because of the way they've implemented the lights, it's not going to be entirely 'artifact free' on the screen - giving 'uniform whiteness' as they claim. Maybe on some heavily optimised demo devices perhaps, or the odd 'fluke'.

Certainly on mine, I can 'see' where the lights are emitting from; but the effect is nice on the screen, and suits is purpose very well indeed.

The screen itself feels lovely - it has a 'grainy' feel to it, not unlike natural paper which I find quite nice indeed.

The screen resolution doesn't appear to be markedly different to that of the Kindle Touch, though I am assured it's 62% better. The improvement comes when you check out the other fonts and their various sizes.

From a software perspective, I agree that the 'Amazon Recommends' section of the homescreen is a bit naughty, and I'd like to remove that and save it only for visits to the Kindle Store thank you Amazon! But I do like the tile/book cover layout - it reminds me very much of the way the Sony Reader interface is designed, and gives you a better feel for your book collection. Buying eBooks these days - you rarely even see the covers; so it's nice to be able to judge your collection by their appearance again ;-)

The 'time to complete chapter' function of the latest software was a BIG selling point for me. As I commute, I love being able to see if my next chapter will likely be finished before the train gets in; the algorithms they use for calculating this are very good and accurate, and I've been able to solidly rely on it to help me decide whether to tear through another chapter, or wait until the journey home. Similarly, 'time to complete book' is great as it helps you work out whether you need to get another book queued up or not. Genius Amazon - really!

I don't care for the audio features of previous Kindles, so these are no loss to me at all. Similarly the lesser storage is non-impactful as I don't honestly need more than a handful of books available to me.

Battery life? I guess it'll last about 8 weeks as Amazon advise! I'm about 2 weeks in and it's still going strong 'with the light on' all the time. In dark reading conditions I turn the light down to 'barely on', and in brighter conditions I whack it up to near full. In real terms I understand the battery would last one full day of reading.

So; that's it! In a nutshell - this is an awesome reader. If you're in the market for one - this is the one to go for! (until a lighter, more ergonomically designed and colour screen version comes out...)

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 23 Nov 2012 13:17:49 GMT
S. Bridge says:
afternoon,

i see you used an ipad before the paperwhite! what made you move over? i currently read on my ipad and my iphone using the kindle app because i like the fact they sync but find rather than read i play on everything else AND prolonged reading hurts my eyes (does the paperwhite do this?) i guess what i'm trying to say is do you think its worth me spending 109 on "another" gadget as my husband would say or should i stop playing on the ipad, read and save my pennies. opinions greatly received

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Nov 2012 14:35:59 GMT
PrivateRyan says:
Hi! I don't think the iPad, or tablets in general, are great for reading, the reason you stated being one of the core ones! It's too easy to get distracted! There's been *lots* of discussion about whether eInk screens versus LCD makes that much of a difference from an 'eye strain' perspective, and the general consensus is that neither will cause harm provided you take appropriate, responsible rest breaks. All that said, I just `prefer' reading on an eReader... they're typically made/designed by readers for readers for reading! So rather than being a jack of all trades, they're very specific for that one job of giving you the best possible reading experience.
Prolonged reading will always hurt your eyes, but I think the `softness' of an eInk screen & its likeness to paper wins over an LCD screen any day - I don't know about you, but I have to sit in front of a computer/lcd screen all day at work, so staring at one in my `off' time is something I'd rather not endure
The lighting on the paperwhite is not like the backlighting of an iPad screen, it's a lot softer, and can even be effectively `turned off'.
The long and short is, from my personal experience, I would always recommend an eReader to someone who likes to read and reads a lot - I really believe they offer a purer and more connected reading experience than a tablet. I think it's 109 well spent... save your iPad for immersing yourself in games and casual browsing etc... and have a kindle for those times when you want to have a good old marathon reading session - free of distractions; just you, the text and maybe a brew ;)

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Nov 2012 17:12:10 GMT
S. Bridge says:
Wow thank you for a very informative response, I'm a mum of 2 small boys so am lucky enough not to have to sit on front of a screen all day, saying that I find if I read in low light ony iPad (in bed) my eyes hurt a lot after a while.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›