5.0 out of 5 stars Superb sound for the money, 11 Feb 2013
This review is from: Yamaha RXV373 5.1 Channel AV Receiver - Black (Electronics)
Just wanted to put my thoughts down to this wonderful AV receiver....Before I do I will tell you that I just retired a Yamaha AVX 400 after 25 years of great service and still going strong..but my reasons for buying this was the digital world.
Read quite a few reviews on AV amps and I knew this was the one for me having similar features to the one that I had retired..Easy set up... great sound and well built.
The first thing I noticed after getting it was how heavy it was ( not quite as heavy as my older one) with a sturdy metal casing.. The remote was less complicated then my old one due to the fact it did not accommodate tape players and vynal, plus digital has lessened the connections by far....It was phono all the way back then.
I didn't purchase this from Amazon due to warranty extensions which Amazon do not give, plus being cheaper (sorry Amazon)..but have written many reviews on here before on technology equipment.
The speaker cables were already in place but the amp had to be resited, but was the same size of my retired one...My speakers are Linn Index II with Ku stone stands (main)..Kenwood CS-6 centre speaker and Yamaha rears, and the final one a Yamaha YST 50(self powered) Sub...All need good control from a good amp,because they are rated as 6ohm and only 82db, and this Yamaha does the job with ease, which proves the power of the little gem..The main speakers are Bi wired for the best possible sound and even though very thick,3/4"... went into the binding quite easy..Banana plugs not recommended as you loose some sound..The other speakers are attached with spring mounted grips which grab the bare wires for connection...Everything was very neat and tidy...The sub just plugged straight in by phono...Before I attached any equipment I decided to use the sound set up device provided in the box...YPAO (Sound Optimization for Automatic Speaker Setup)..You place the device at ear level,usually where the main listner sits ( I used a camera tripod which was perfect for the job)then just plug in and press start..it goes through 2 different tones and wave noises for the sub and that's it.. You can set up the parameters of the speakers manually also, but to be honest the YPAO did a wonderful job...In fact you can set everything up manually for those of you that like to tweak...One nice touch is being able to pre set the main volume at switch on...just so you don't blow your ears when the amp is switched on from cold...
Attaching equipment is also very easy and everything is HDMI, but you do have component and Optical should you need it, also with monitor out and audio out..The main HDMI is ARC (audio return channel)
Sub Note...Definition: Audio Return Channel (ARC) is a very practical feature that has been introduced in HDMI ver1.4. What this function allows, if both a home theater receiver and a TV have HDMI ver1.4 and offer this feature, is that you can transfer audio from the TV back to a home theater receiver and listen to your TV's audio through your home theater audio system instead of the TV's speakers without having to connect a second cable between the TV and home theater system.
................and this means when you turn the amp on by pressing the BD/DVD button on the remote it will turn on your blu ray/dvd player..but your TV needs this ARC also for it to work...Check the back of your TV..This does not mean it will not work even if your TV does not have this...If it does though your TV remote can control the volume of the amp..Sorry I digress.....At first I connected all my equipment with HDMI... Blu Ray....XBox 360...and Humax freeview box...but then I realised that I had to listen to everything through the amp itself...not always a good thing ...there are a lot of times when I just want to listen to the TV (which by the way is an LG42LM670T)..I tend to use the amp more with movies....SO... I decided to unplug everything except the Blu ray player and this enabled me to do what I wanted....So....I watch my TV...Humax box and Games machine through the TV alone, but with one press I can have it all running through the amp, whenever ''I'' want to.... My blu ray movies are watched through the amp...It's a perfect world for me...When I first tried the amp with 5.1 dolby pro logic..I was amazed at the steering and the quality it delivered...the rears being stereo too ( my old one were only ever sent a mono signal).. but the best for me was the speech being so clear even when there was a lot of action going on...my old one couldn't manage that because it was stereo only and pro logic 'analogue'...I had realised what I had been missing with these new digital recordings..Some people have commented that it ''Runs out of steam''....**WHAT**... are they deaf...take this with a pinch of salt..It's more powerful then you'll ever need and if you turn it up you'll be pinned to the back of the seat..Well it does with MY speakers....
One thing I haven't mentioned yet is it has a built in Tuner.. with RDS and ribbon streaming of the program being listened to...that's a great bonus and it's a good tuner to boot...it comes with a single strand of copper wire coated in plastic to receive the stations, but it's more then enough... but I do live in a good reception area so maybe extending this will have to be done by certain people.
A critical point in some peoples reviews on this Amp... do they have good speakers and are they placed correctly...if not they will slate the amp...but trust me.. you get out what you put in... and this stems from the beginning with the disc your playing, then the bluray/dvd player next... then the speakers....Don't worry about the amp delivering,because it will with ease....This amp Will control your speakers... mine are 6.ohms. and 82 db, as I said earlier.. these need to be grasped by the neck, and this Yamaha AV Receiver does this well....Oh... One reviewer said there was not enough bass from standard set up (so he added a sub, but it will be the speakers fault)...you can actually alter the tone control too, to get bass and treble increased...But you don't get bass from Subs as mistaken by a good many... they are SUB NOTES not audible to the human ear, which is why placement of a sub is not critical... they add those Umph notes for Feeling the sound, even at lower levels.
SO...to summarize..
It's well built
fantastic sound and steering delivery
nice looking (personal opinion)
easy to set up and use.
Get this beauty while you can and don't waste your money on the more expensive amps..unless you really want those extras such as Wi-Fi and upscaling...This will deliver just what you want.. Happy Audiophiling.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 9 May 2013 23:18:34 BDT
Atomspheres says:
I was looking at upgrading my 20 year old yamaha amp to get the new digital trueHD sound just like you and after reading your great review I think this is the one, I do not need all the extra stuff like wi-fi as i have never needed it in the past and I dont know what upscaling is anyway. My old amp is still going and for 500 20 years ago i think it should be, But this RXV373 is an entry level amp and my old one was a high end amp at the time so it looks like am going down level with this one what do you think? It has everything i need and its at the right price so I think I may go for it.

In reply to an earlier post on 10 May 2013 15:33:34 BDT
Hi Tezmyo..... First thing I'd like to say is thank you for your nice reply...I like to tell things as they are..Good AND bad.... I've had this amp now for several months and I'm still loving it...but since my review I have replaced everything speaker wise too....and Boy what a difference...I have treated myself to some Monitor Audio BX 5's along with the centre and rears to match and because they are 8 ohm and 90db (very easy to drive) they not only gel perfectly but the amp steers them amd makes them sounds fantastic...
You won't regret getting this amp despite your ponders...Don't worry about it being a so called budget end amp..You are NOT going down a level,trust me...it packs a wallop and unless you want the other bells and whistles (which are a waste to be honest) you won't need to break the bank to have a great sound surround system in your home.......The upscaling by the way means ..if you have a DVD player (not blu ray) it will try to upscale the picture quality to make it look like HD...I bought myself a fantastic LG blu ray player for 75 ..3D to along with internet connection, and it works great with the amp through the HDMI socket........I will say one thing about connecting the HDMI leads to the back of the amp... it has more then enough to cover all your equipment..but unless you want to watch EVERYTHING listening to them through the amp...do not connect this way...because it will mean you having to hear Everything through the amp... I have my Blu ray player Only connected this way...but my TV, XBox 360 and my Humax set top box do not...I'm quite happy to listen to those through the TV speakers alone...but with a press of a button I can listen to them though the amp.....If you need a better explanation I can send you a 1 2 3 guide..
Hope you decide to get the Yamaha because I know you will like it.. Happy surround sounding...:)...Cheers.

In reply to an earlier post on 10 May 2013 22:06:35 BDT
Last edited by the author on 10 May 2013 22:11:54 BDT
Atomspheres says:
hi mr reece, we must be twins lol i have got the monitor audio bronze bx 1's x 4 and the monitor audio bronze bx centre and a monitor audio bronze bxw10 subwoofer all in light wood as we have natural oak furniture in the room. the sound is out of this world but with my old amp in DTS i am still not getting the best sound out of blurays so i think you have made my mind up on this one now, i know that upscaling was to do with dvd players as my pioneer in the bedroom has it but did not know amp had it. i love my films so iv just bought a pioneer bdplx55 bluray as my sony as now starting to play up after 3 years, one thing i have always said is that if you go through another device rather than from one device to another you would loose quality like going through the amp from the bluray to the tv is this so? have you tested the picture quality before going through the amp? i would love to know, i like all my devices to go through the amp and iv always liked to use optical for the sound and this has only got 2 but i dont think that should be a problem i can use it for my humax and bluray because there the ones that get used most. iv just checked richer sounds and the amp has gone down to 194 so i think that is a steal dont you. anyway thank you for the info and for replying to me alot of people dont bother.

regards terry.

In reply to an earlier post on 11 May 2013 12:36:46 BDT
Hi Terry... Yes it's a fantastic price...get it while you can....You know Amazon have their mad half hours and it wouldn't surprise me if it goes back up soon.... I remember my Blu ray player.. (I got mine form Richer sounds though)..it started on Amazon at 97 (more then what I paid)...then suddenly dropped to 59 (less then what I paid) their mad half hour... then after 3 days it for some reason went up to 112...???...talk about yo yo prices...but if you can wait on those mad times then you can get a great buy..:)
Wow... mine are the natural Oak too...lol...I wanted to have a more modern look...we do seem to have very similar tastes and almost the same set ups... My amp was Dolby pro logic and was not getting the best from 5:1 signals... it got lost trying to steer the rears more then anything, plus they were only mono ...but the Yamaha being what it is certainly does steer the sound wonderfully...I watched the Avengers last night...WOW...I heard every laser wizz past my head and the flying baddies come over my head and from side to side..I know my new rears helped BXFX and the speech never got lost neither.. the BX centre.....Your question about loosing signal quality through an amp is exactly something I always pondered on...but don't worry with this new one... HDMI lest it just pass right through (signal pass)...I love my movies too having some 500...and as I mentioned I not only want my amp for movies but for serious music listening...and I get just that.... As I mentioned also... I really watch the BD player through the amp...but the other stuff..''I'' want to decide whether or not I listen through the amp or TV itself...so I have the best of both worlds without loss of picture or sound quality...
Let me know if you get it and what you think of it when you do get it set up and running...I'll be very very surprised if your not wowed by it.
Cheers..Steve.

In reply to an earlier post on 11 May 2013 23:22:50 BDT
Atomspheres says:
Thanks Steve for replying, Iv just done the living room out all modern and natural colours with a false wall on one side for my new panasonic txl42wt50b LED TV that i got from richer sound. I buy must of my things from them because i like the cheap 5 year guarantee.
If you could do me a favour and measure the amp from the legs to the top to see if its 6" like my old one I would be greatful as the unit iv got for the amp to go in only just fits my old one with 1" around for airflo. Iv got a marantz amp and cd player with eltax speakers for my music in another room so the yamaha will only be used for tv and bluray sound really and iv only just notest my speakers on the tv are making a vibration noise so I cannot wait to get the room done and set my amp up again. I wanted to get all new stuff for when the rooms finished but iv only got the old tv on the wall at the moment and never new it vibrated until now and when iv read up on it all the LG373000 tv's had the problem and because my new tv still in the box is alot thiner i dont think the speakers will be any good so they will be turned off like on my old tv so i will never know if they vibrate like this old one.

I was trying to find out if the sound from the hdmi cables going into the amp is just as good as using the optical cables because iv always thought optical give the best sound do you know anything about this steve?

In reply to an earlier post on 12 May 2013 11:48:33 BDT
Last edited by the author on 12 May 2013 11:49:04 BDT
Hi Terry...sorry for the late reply...late morning..:)...I can confirm the height is exactly 150mm from top to toe....And I will say....it does get quite warm...well it does with me...but I DO push it..I like my sound generous..lol...
Your not going to believe this...but I too have an LG tv...lol... I've only just bought it (as in 5 months)..I got the smart one and I love it..picture and facilities are fabulous......Sorry I digress.... As to the HDMI cable running sounds...don't worry...you will not notice any loss of quality whatsoever...I have my Humax connected both ways and I can switch at any time while listening and there is no difference...no loss of bass or treble or detail...While we're on the subject of sound...I will point out something to you regarding the Ypao that comes with the amp...If you use it to set up the correct setting for your speakers ( and it does do a good job of distance and volume)..be aware... it CAN alter your Hz settings so you have NO bass at all....I can't tell you what headaches this caused me especially when I first set up my BX 5's....Grrrrr.. the amp set the Hz to 200...so I thought the speakers were crap...it took me as while to find this...but as soon as I realised what it was BOOM.... bass was there a plenty....It comes under the set up..speakers..configuration...crossover..From here you can give the speakers as little or as much bass as you need ...as long as your speakers are built that way..so check the back of your mains ...plus... you can tell the amp Small or larger speakers... this will affect the sound greatly...Get it right and you'll be blown away..
Cheers.Steve

In reply to an earlier post on 13 May 2013 00:13:04 BDT
Last edited by the author on 13 May 2013 00:13:59 BDT
Atomspheres says:
Thanks Steve thats great to know, I do love messing with my gadgets so im sure I will get it to how i like my sound. I normaly use saving private ryan bluray to set up the sound for films with the beach part when bullets are flying everywhere or with braveheart when the arrows are flying over your head. I just love sitting down and playing with the sound till i get it just right. Anyway steve i will be getting it tomorrow from richer sounds because amazon says 2 to 5 weeks for delivery but I wont be setting it up untill iv finished doing the room so I will let you know later when iv got it sorted.

cheers terry.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 May 2013 12:02:23 BDT
Atomspheres says:
Hi Steve, I did not get the amp yet as I had a feeling it may drop in price and it has but as im still doing the room with all the wires in the wall so it look the part and I would not be using it yet anyway I thought I should wait until the room is finished and maybe it will come down to 150 be then.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 May 2013 21:20:34 BDT
Hi Terry...I wouldn't hold my breath on that....but good on ya if you do get it cheaper then 195...I think 150 is wishful thinking...but as I say good luck....I'm really enjoying my set up now and wished I'd changed years ago..but it was worth the wait..:)...I managed to sink all my cables when I first moved in here and apart from my main cables nothing can be seen.. I went mad 25 years ago with the main cable...AUDIOQUEST FLX-SLiP 14/4 and it was damn expensive back then but never regretted buying it..but it's very thick and can't be hidden, although I have made some carper tubing to match the carpet that's down.:)
Take care, Cheers. Steve.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 May 2013 23:05:09 BDT
Atomspheres says:
Yes Steve it is wishful thinking and would be nice but I think anything under 200 will be fine and richer sounds is at 189 now so we will see when the time come's just hope it does not go up. I mite just order it from amazon and wait the 5 weeks and that gives me time to finish the room. That is a nice bi-wire you have gone with I went with qed bi-wire and the false wall iv just built for the tv has aloud me to put a row of 8 plugs set back in the wall so the mains cables are not even seen when I push the unit upto the wall and im just about to buy some small speaker brakets instead of the floating shelves I had up before, but I need to make sure they will hold the speaker weight I dont want them ending up on the floor and damaged id be gutted.

‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.4 out of 5 stars (13 customer reviews)

249.95 149.99